• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does Anyone Elses Giant Rabbit Have Dry Flakey Skin

sandysan

Warren Scout
BELLE IS LOOSING HER FUR NOT SURE IF IT IS DUE TO HER WINTER FUR COMING......SHE ALSO HAS VERY FLAKY DRY SKIN
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS:wave:

yep. I agree, Susan had a bald patch on the back of her neck (not dry n flaky though). it was caused by VHD jab, but Ivermectin helped - which the vets use for worms n mites, and she's good as new!

belle has had panacur.... and yes she has a bald spot behind her neck i thought that was from scratching????

my vet tried telling me ringworm without even seeing Sue. Panacur and Ivermectin work in different ways, I asked the vet about giving both and she said so long as it's not done at the same time it's not harmful to the buns and they're not getting an overdose... it could also be that she's rubbed it away holding her head back when she lays down - from pic, it looks like she does what Susan was doing so the back of her head touches her neck and it might have rubbed the fur away (like a baby has a bald patch from laying in it's cot). Aloe Vera can help with this...

if she's scratching, i'd definitely say mites, in which case you will need something for that - preferrably ivomectin, but if you dont wanna use that, then you can get Xenex spot on which is strongest and recommended by vets, but bear in mind, if you've not used topical treatments like this before - them in themselves can cause skin irritation

ok i just been to check belle the bald pacth is not flaky just like baby skin lol...but on her back is flaky like dandruff but her fur is also fallling out now this must be for her winter fur ....... i cannot see any mites it looks real clean .... unless u cant see thme with the huiman eye:shock:

Belle looks almost identical to my Lola!...when Lola had her VHD injection she had a really bad reaction (scratched the area until it bled.) We were so scared that we rushed her back to the vets who said this could happen (thanks for the warning!)is the dry patch on her back just behind her ears??

Hi Lola.
The Dry Skin Is On Her Spine Back Bone....the Bald Spot Is Behind Her Ear. She Has Not Had Any Injections As Yet Coz She Had Muscle Waste In Her Back Legs .

you cant see the mites. if you keep guineas too, chances are it's mange mite, so would explain why hair's falling out, or, could just be VHD reaction in which case Aloe Vera will help.

When we picked Lola up she had really thin fur on the spot that you described, the vet said it was from her brothers and sisters over grooming her. Saying that i doubt it is the cause if its just appeared. I'm afraid i'm not too much help

WHAT IS VHD??? BELLE HAS NOT HAD ANY INJECTIONS THEY COULDNT GIVE HER THE MYSIMATOSIS AT THE TIME COZ OF HER BACK LEGS.....BUT I WILL TAKE HER TO VET MONDAY TO SEE IF SHE HAS MITES:wave:

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease. It’s a deadly disease that any rabbit can catch, and it kills most of those that get it. Only vaccination can control the spread of the disease in domestic rabbits. The jab has to be given 10-14 days after the myxi.

VHD is viral haemmoragic disease where basically bunnies internal organs turn to mush. sometimes no signs, sometimes bleeding from nose bum etc, high temp, off food, there's loads of stuff online about it.

VHD & Mixy jabs should be given at least 2 weeks apart.

I would be dubious about the VHD Vaccinae though because there've been cases of late where lots of buns have had a reaction to this jab - including partial, temporary lameness ... if Belle's already had leg problems, personally i'd wait a while on this, and if she has some skin reaction then this vaccine could also aggravate that.

Yes I Asked The Vet About The Myxi Jab But He Said To Wait Because Of The Muscle Loss In Her Back Legs .... I Will Taqke Her Monday To Get Her Hecked Out Again .and See When She Can Have Her Jab

I would agree Theresaclaire, Lola had a really bad reaction to VHD and Belle could probably do without that stress right now. Lola was fine until the evening and began pulling her fur out around the injection site and it was bleeding, then her left front leg became lame. I was distraught and took her to the emergency vet. She recovered fine but it was a bit of an ordeal. Does anyone know if this will happen when she has her booster??

I have tons of photos but i lost the wire to get them onto my laptop. i really want to show her off.lol. I looked back on my camera today of pics we took the day we got her (9 weeks old) and she looks so tiny..she's a big girl now! As soon as i get another cable thing i will get them put up. We named her Lola because she was a showgirl (!) but she's got camera shy now and turns around so now i have to sneak pics of her.

Harleigh had a really bad reaction to the VHD, looked just like she'd been scalded!!! was about 2 inches by 1 inch and raw and sticky. she hadn't pulled the fur herself, it just fell out. had to rush her back to the vets where they gave me flamazine steroid gel to rub on twice a day. it cleared up within about 2 weeks but was so stressful for us and her!

The vet sad sge wouldnt be happy for her to have the VHD jab again because it can be worse the 2nd time round - like a peanut reaction in people, once they've had it once it can be more severe the next time, but others online say there buns have been fine after the 1st time... personal judgement call I think... sorry couldnt be more help on this one Kirsty

Back