• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lots of help needed!! Really lots of help please! he's just died

Help,

Cleaned out charlie tonight, and he was really quiet and not interested in coming out for a run. I gave him his food 25minutes ago and he hasn't touched it. Which isn't like him. He's lying down not interested.

I lost Gizmo a week ago and she started out exactly like this and within 12 hours we lost her despite seeing the vet. I kind of feel that there may be a virus or something. It seems strange for them both to be poorly. he's been pooping and stuff but then so did gizmo!

Please help i dont know what to do, it's friday night and even if i go to an emergency vet they might not know what their talking about!!!!

Help!!

Last edited:
Is his stomach swollen or hard to the touch?

Has he been grinding his teeth? Does he look uncomfortable or fidgety...keep shifting positions?

Is it possible he may be grieving?

I think you do need to get in touch with your Vet
It really is impossible for us to guess what may be wrong. A Vet can thoroughly examine Charlie and, given what happened with Gizmo :cry: will take into account a *possible* connection.

Please let us know how you get on

Janex

just on the off chance, a friend of mine lost some buns the same way a few months ago - 2 inside a week and after doing lots of research online, looks like rabbit enteritis. wsn't GI or bloat, just went quiet, went off food but otherwise normal, including poops - not sticky or anything, nothing obvious at all.

I'm not sure on treatment myself, but some of the sites said panacur rabbit could help / prevent it and after doing all her others with this she's not lost any more. the only way you;d get that this time of night and in a hurry is via a vet.

sending lots of vibes - hope Charlie's okay!!

Is his stomach swollen or hard to the touch?

Has he been grinding his teeth? Does he look uncomfortable or fidgety...keep shifting positions?

Is it possible he may be grieving?

totally agree with this - could definitely be grieving but also agree with Jane - best to see a vet!

just on the off chance, a friend of mine lost some buns the same way a few months ago - 2 inside a week and after doing lots of research online, looks like rabbit enteritis. wsn't GI or bloat, just went quiet, went off food but otherwise normal, including poops - not sticky or anything, nothing obvious at all.

I'm not sure on treatment myself, but some of the sites said panacur rabbit could help / prevent it and after doing all her others with this she's not lost any more. the only way you;d get that this time of night and in a hurry is via a vet.

sending lots of vibes - hope Charlie's okay!!

That is well worth asking a vet about but Panacur will not treat enteritis...only a possible underlying EC infestation which is known to cause bloat as a symptom.

Another infectious GI condition is Coccidiosis :( im not sure enteritis is infectious but its cause can be.

His tum feels okay i think, he's panting a little though, He's stayed in the same position though since i gave him his food. just sprawled out.
Still hasn't touched his food ( gave it to him at 7)

He's quite a shy bun but when i checked his tum he hardley moved. He only moved when i squeezed it (not hard though) Normally he'd jump away straight away!!

Want to leave him alone cos i know he's probably grieving. but i'm really worried

Has he had his teeth checked? It could be his mouth hurting him. Luuna just suddenly stopped eating with no other signs when her mouth was hurting her. The vet should give painkiller and gut stimulant if he has stasis - both injected, not oral. They might have recovery food which you can syringe, or you can mush up pellets with water, as long as the vet is sure there is no blockage. I really hope he will be ok :(

Are his stools all perfectly normal?

Did you get any of the medicines you asked about previously?

That is well worth asking a vet about but Panacur will not treat enteritis...only a possible underlying EC infestation which is known to cause bloat as a symptom.

Another infectious GI condition is Coccidiosis :( im not sure enteritis is infectious but its cause can be.

good info! you've helped me too Sooz - never experienced it personally, but was just looking it up on websites to help a friend, but will bear this in mind if ever I have any troubles like this - EC has a lot to answer for huh!

Back to main stream.... if Charlie is grieving, he might benefit from some extra attention rather than bieng left alone??? have you offered him any dandelion leaves / greens or anything to see if he'll accept those? if my buns go off thier food, but will eat these then it often take the edge off my concern as at least they're eating something...

It really does sound to me, if you lost a bun like this in 12 hours before, that he needs to see the vet NOW. Please let us know how he is. Healing vibes xxx

Is he vaccinated against VHD ?

he is vaccinated against VHD but he hasn't had his booster. Gizmo hadn't either. No excuse just haven't got around to it

I've given him his carrot and cabbage which are his favourite hasn't touched them though

Call the vets and see what they advise.

If this was one of my rabbits I would now probably be giving him/her some Infacol and Metacam.

Back