• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Tray!! What goes in it???

rodgerrabbit

Young Bun
Hey Folks

Quick question for y'all since you have all been good enough to help me out thus far....

We are about to grab a litter tray on the way to pick up the bunnies TONIGHT!!

All I need to know is..what should go IN the litter tray when I put it in the hutch>> should this just be straw? Or woodshavings too or, something else (and please, nobody say poo or litter :D (tho this would be mission accomplished right enough) :D

Cheers...

RR

I put (in this order):

Newspaper(about 4 sheets)
Megazorb(just a light sprinkling over the newspaper)
And Hay in one corner(usually the far corner, but I don't)

Hope your buns settle in well. Do you have any piccies? I didn't know you were getting buns.

newspaper then straw is definitley the way to go i reckon, and i don't fill mine to much and i have a tray with decent depth sides, winnie always tends to wee in the corner so i don't want it goin over the edge of the tray :lol:

Thanks to you all!! Most helpful...

Final question (About to go on the "Bunny run" :D )

Will a cat litter tray suffice?? A small one, of course

Cheers again

RR

i put 3 scoops of wood pellets along the back of the tray and fill the front with meadow hay, topped with a handful of timothy hay... he sit with his bum in the right area while eating the hay :)

I use wooden cat litter pellets covered with hay, and found this works really well.

So far we've been using newspaper, a layer of woodshavings and then hay, but the litter tray seems to spend most of the time upside down or being flung around the hutch by our two bunsters!
We suspect Dill of being a bit fussy about the feng shui of the hutch, as he's always the first to act if we put something back in a different spot after cleaning......:roll: ;)

Good luck with the baby lops :)

I use underbed storage boxes as they are big enough to put litter in all over the base (I use megazorb) and a big bundle of fresh hay at one end, twice daily for them to eat - as they like to toilet whilst eating. Also stops them peeing over the edge as they back up into the corner of a tray to pee. As the boxes are so big they have one for a bed and one for a toilet, as that's what they seem to prefer lying in too - and the rest of the hutch is bare. It's a doddle to clean out! Really you do need more than one tray if you want success with this - especially with 2 rabbits.

I think experimenting with different things is a good idea, some things work well for one pair of rabbits, others prefer something else. I have had rabbits who only want hay, everything else is dug out. Others prefer a layer of newspaper in the tray with a 'hanger' of hay hung over it. Others I have had prefer shredded paper with hay on the top ....

I would not recommend using sawdust or wooden pelleted cat litter - both are made of pine which is bad for the liver and respiratory tract, and both are very dusty [the pelleted cat litter turns into sawdust when it gets wet].

I use about 2in of Yesterday's News in cat litter trays [which aren't deep enough, looking for something more suitable but it'll do for now] with hay on top. The soiled litter is removed twice daily and the hay replaced at *least* twice a day.

I would highly disagree with using sawdust or woodflakes as they seem to make a rather strong smell when wet with wee and can be dusty which can interfere with a bunny's highly sensitive respiratory system. Carefresh and Megazorb are my preferred options, they are both a wood pulp material. Carefresh can be bought in small packs from most petshops and online, Megazorb is more economical as it comes in a very large sack ad can be bought on line.

So, you must have yo new buns home by now... how are you and they getting on? :D

Back