• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rabbits and Cats

KarinB

Warren Scout
Keeping rabbits and cats together - is it possiblke?

We have two outdoor bunnies and are consaidering getting a cat. Will this cause problems or does it all depend?

I have two cats and bunnies outside.I have had no problems at all:D In fact the cats are scared of the bunnies and piggies:lol: :lol:

I think as long as they are introduced properly then it should be fine. We have 7 and the bunnies don't mind them and if they do then they just thump and the cats run off :lol: One of the cats always helps me when I'm clean out hutches or feeding the buns, she seems to like them but the rabbits don't feel the same :lol:

I have 3 of each and they are all ok in fact I think the cats are afraid of the rabbits. they are funny to see, all lying in the sun together:lol: :lol:

I've never had a cat before. Do they do much damage to yur home at all?

We have bother with neighbours' cats coming into our garden. If we had our own, would they stop coming in?

Last edited:
Easy-peasy. ^^

We have three/sometimes four cats. We also have our neighbour's cat in the garden practically all the time - he adores my bunnies. And not an adore in an 'I want to eat you' way... he's always trying to brush against them and purrs at them. If anything, the cats are wary of the rabbits when the rabbits are loose... At first, before each rabbit was used to the cats, if a cat appeared they would thump and spook the cats... but now they bound across to the corner of the run to greet the cats... Who usually ignore them entirely.

my cats and rabbits get on great together ive had my rabbits run around teh house with the cats. i think kittens are probably better as they can grow up with the rabbits and know that their not food.

Cats and bunnies body language is very similar so as long as they're introduced properly it shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a particularly vicious/territorial cat/bun :)

I have 3 house cats....all live harmoniously with the rabbits but we did get them as kittens so that they grew up that way.

we introduced Angel (bun) to Eeny (kitten) very slowly. Eeny was the first to run off so it was a good start! :lol:
Now Eeny is one, they chase each other around the lounge back and forth, although eeny sometimes winds Angel up. Angel is quite an aggressive bun towards us two leggeds but she's never done ANYTHING to Eeny. Thank god!
Eeny is calmer around Boo and she always wants to play with them both.

They get on fine but i would stll never trust them unsupervised for more than 10 mins!! :roll: :lol:

I have 4 mainly house cats.... they were all about 4 when I got the buns... started with house buns and have always got a house bun as well as outdoor buns. Everything has always been fine. I watched them very closely when they were babies. But now the rabbits are in charge. :lol:

My rabbits are getting better at standing their ground since they've grown bigger, but one of the neighbours cats tries stalking/chasing them even though they're in a run, and that sends them into their hutch in a panic. So then I watergun the cat.

I have three cats and they are all fine with my indoor bun and the outdoor bunnies too :D

Ditto! I wouldn't have trusted the cats when the buns were small, but now they are full grown, Flynn especially ( as he's indoors) will move the cats on if they've dared to curl up in his running space!:lol:

I'd love a kitten/cat but I'm so scared it would scare or even kill one of my bunnies :( I have 2 housebuns would I leave the cat with the buns overnight in the kitchen ?

I'd love a kitten/cat but I'm so scared it would scare or even kill one of my bunnies :( I have 2 housebuns would I leave the cat with the buns overnight in the kitchen ?

We got Tilly when she was a kitten and although our bunnies were outside in the shed they had free run of the house and garden during the day. Tilly grew up with the buns and they would play together but we never left them alone for a long period of time, so i don't really know about that, unless you put the bunnies in a cage at night?

And our first cat Tibby was about 14 when we first started keeping bunnies and she loved them too, i think you just have to introduce them slowly.

A couple of very old piccies of Tibby and Bouncer :D

img017-2.jpg

img018-1.jpg

Back