• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else have a rabbit who does this? (Litter tray related!)

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Having only recently added litter trays to each of my rabbits' hutches, I've noticed just how unalike they really are in terms of their homes... Barney, my 2 year old Dutch boy, is extremely neat and tidy. He has always used the bed area of his hutch as a toilet, which was lovely - it made him easier to clean out every other day. =^^= Just had to replace the bedding in the bed part, as he never, ever did anything in the front bit.

When we got Amber, she used three different areas of her hutch as a toilet. This gradually went down to two(ish), one of which was in her bed, also. So, having always used litter trays when they area indoors, and not having had any accidents, I figured I'd put the trays in their hutches and see what happened... the first time I did this, I covered both trays with plenty of bedding type stuff to try and make it less obvious. The next morning when checking, I found Barney had used his tray... and Amber, well... She'd scooped out ALL the bedding from the tray and made a mountain of the stuff which she was flopped beside looking smug. She surprised me further still by actually using the tray in a semi reliable way... but only went there was no bedding left in there. So, now she just fills a plastic litter tray with many little rabbit poops...

Odd, but I s'pose she has the basic idea... The only issue is that she also pees in there, and everything sticks to the tray as a result... o_e I don't quite get what her problem is with any absorbant type of bedding, but she makes it pretty clear she doesn't want it in there...

I tied something like that... The first time she scooped all the bedding out, I put it back in.. but she did it again. So I tried paper, with a bit of straw on top... She went right in her bed, took a corner of the newspaper, tugged it and came charging out with straw all over her... She's remarkably stubborn.

I'm still trying to train Poppy, I thought I'd got them down to one tray between them but nope she went in the other bedroom compartment without the tray so I'll have to put one back in it :rolleyes:

I did try to just have a wooden floor with newspaper in the main compartment whilst she was deciding to use the whole hutch as a toilet but she pulled hay out of the bedroom into it anyway :lol:

Back