• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supermarket Growing Herbs

nannybonk

Warren Scout
Does anybody know whether the growing herbs that you can buy from supermarkets, can be potted up and will keep growing?

I was just thinking it would be a good way to keep my bunnies in fresh herbs. I'm not very good at growing things from scratch, I tend to get bored if they don't grow quickly enough.

Has anybody tried it?

Thanks, Hannah

hey there,
i've potted herbs from supermarkets and they have taken pretty well, winnie hops on the window trays and eats em lol
but i did do some from seed which to be honest came up in no time, although i made my mum re-pot them lol :lol:
just give it a go! :wave:

You can do, but sometimes you have to harden them off on a cold window sill or greenhouse. The plants are grown in warm conditions to make them big in a short period of time. Sometimes if you throw them outside too soon they get killed off by the change in temperature.

Mine don't get a chance to grow. I have 12 plants on rotation, they get destroyed really quickly. Like 2 hours quickly.

I have most luck with ones I grow myself from seed or from a garden center for woody herbs like thyme....because they don't get grown under artificial light in hot houses they tend to be a bit tougher. My basil lasted from feb to sep this year on a window sill. I re sowed two weeks ago & I now have sprouts everywhere....although it's a little late so I don't know how they will do.

I find growing from seeds is the best way as you can plant the seeds deeper and they seem more resilient to the weather. It probably works out cheaper that way as well.

Yep growing from seed is definitely cheaper, I have used the ASDA ones too, but I do get through them a bit quick!:shock: I have chamomile and calendula on the go at the moment ( finished the parsley last week so need to get some more)! Try it, it's worth it!:D

Can dandelion plants be grown from seed? I need these to help with the calcium problem my buns have. Are there any other plants/herbs that help with calcium?

Back