• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Donut - Sudden Death

baileydonut

Alpha Buck
Found Donut about an hour ago barely breathing. A couple of breaths later and he had gone. Me, Joe and Martha were with him. He was fine yesterday and all his evening meal had gone when we checked. He had been treated at the vets though for a gunky eye. He had also had a tooth removed on Saturday. His eye had improved dramatically since his eye cream had been changed to eye drops with anti imflammatory. I even watched him in the garden yesterday and thought to myself 'Donut is back to his old self again'. To say we are shocked is an understatement. The only thing that we noticed though after he had died, was his stomach was rock hard. I feel now that we have let him down somehow. But he had practically been living at the vets the last 10 days or so, so why on earth has this happened. Could I have done something? He had shown no other signs of discomfort. He was eating, pooing, drinking etc ....

awww so sorry to hear about Donut:( .

Please dont feel it was something you did or didnt do, you know Donut had the best life with you as his bunny mummy and will love you always.

Take care

RIP Donut.

xx

So sorry to hear Donut has passed away :(

Maybe if you feel it will help, you could have a post mortem to see if they can find out what happened?

Hugs for you (((*)))

Don't blame yourself - you did everything you could. Is so sad - at least he had a lovely day yesterday and that you were with him at the end.:angel:

Oh I am so very sorry :cry:
It sounds as though he may have had an acute bloat but without a PM it's impossible to say for sure
Sudden death is so very hard to come to terms with. You have my utmost sympathy

:cry:

Janex

Unexpected and sudden deaths are so hard and I know how you feel but please don't blame yourself - I know how easy this is to say and how hard it is to do but it sounds like you did everything you could for little Donut.

Binky free little bun - much missed.x

Oh I am so very sorry :cry:
It sounds as though he may have had an acute bloat but without a PM it's impossible to say for sure
Sudden death is so very hard to come to terms with. You have my utmost sympathy

:cry:

Janex

Hi Jane, this was my thinking. I have read about bloat, but never experienced it. I said to my son Joe 'If anyone knows, it will be Jane'.

Thanks to you all for your kinds words - again! I'm not doing too well at the moment, what with Spike and Skip and now Donut. I had popped earlier this afternoon, and whilst I was out the vet who I was due to see this afternoon with Donut has telephoned to offer condolences and a chat about Donut. She is phoning back later today or over the weekend,

Thanks to you all for your kinds words - again! I'm not doing too well at the moment, what with Spike and Skip and now Donut. I had popped earlier this afternoon, and whilst I was out the vet who I was due to see this afternoon with Donut has telephoned to offer condolences and a chat about Donut. She is phoning back later today or over the weekend,

It sounds as though you have a compassionate Vet. It does help when those involved with treating our sick Buns show that they care. They may not be able to save our little friends but knowing that the Vet really cared is of some comfort. At least I find it to be so

Janex

Just had to break the news to hubby - he was really shocked. I didn't want to phone him at work, so waited until he had got home. I found myself saying 'no more, I can't keep doing this', but I know that somewhere along the line we will need to get Bailey a little friend - or a big one actually as Bailey is rather a big boy.

Back