• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got 4 x 3 week old babies arriving at rescue today! **Update**

The babies have arrived, they are a quite a good size, but also quite young they are not 4 weeks old until next Tuesday! so I am a bit more nervous about them now, and their Mum died on Monday not yesterday.

Does anyone know, should I give them milk? I can get organic goats milk at a nearby farm shop. I obviously want to do all I can fro them

Gosh, I wish I knew what to advise! I'm sure there are lots of people on here who know. Good Luck!!

Please keep us updated on their progress with baby bunny pics!!

Yes I would give them milk. if you're lucky you can just put it in a bottle on the the cage and they'll help themselves. You need to put some caceotrophes from another healthy rabbit in the hutch so that the babies can eat them to build up their gut flora. Otherwise just plenty of hay and and pellets. Maybe a bowl of pellets with a bit of boiled water all mushed up - it will be nice and soft and warm and easy for them to eat. Keep a close eye on them, if they start to look a bit skinny or aren't eating as much as you'd like then you'll need to start syringing them food.

Good luck!

Bless their cottons.

I hope they all do well, at least they had a few weeks of mums milk to help them along, although isnt the weaning stage where they are most at risk :( ?

I'm sure i've heard someone on here say not cows milk? you might know that already tho so just ignore me :oops: . poor little mites. hope they get on well.

I'm sure i've heard someone on here say not cows milk? you might know that already tho so just ignore me :oops: . poor little mites. hope they get on well.

yes i knew, thanks :D they have all taken 2ml of cimicat with some avipro added :D :D and two of them have eaten a few pieces of junior excel:D so fingers crossed.

Yeah it should be KMR or goats milk.

I have also heard that mixing a healthy adult ceacal pellet in can help boost gut flora....not sure peoples stance on that, its probably an old breeding trick.....I think probiotics are safer!

WEll I will do my best with the knowledge I have :D and love and patience :D

here is a link to some photos my 7yr old took when they were drinking their milk :D

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/kareen.mitchelson/OrphanedBabies

DSC00528.jpg

Last edited:
Back