• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

everyone Rescues, Breeders and petshops

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
im just curious how strict are ppl with hygiene and quarentine when getting new buns
i always between rabbits use that tescos germ killer gel for your hands that drys in a couple of seconds and wear my lab coat or apron,
also anynew buns i get are in the quarentine shed for 4wks this is including any that i might of shown aswell.
none of my rabbits can touch noses through the wire as this is know to spread germs as well and i use a mix of v18 and jeyes fluid to spray in the hutches and on the feeding and cleaning equipment including the broom and hand shovel
just wondered wots every else doing in this area:D

I'm not a rescue, breeder or pet shop, but I am an 'Everyone', so...

My rabbits are in hutches which are fairly far apart, so not much risk of cross-infection there.

Each hutch has it's own cleaning utensils. Litter trays are cleaned weekly with normal household disinfectant. Food and water bowls are washed in boiling water every week.

Hutches are disinfected with Virkon S between occupants, so are litter trays and cleaning utensils.

I must admit to being rather slack about quarantine for new arrivals. I only bother if a rabbit arrives looking ill or in poor body condition. :oops: This is certainly something I need to improve.

The area I'm most worried about is the lawn. I do try to move my runs to a new patch of lawn regularly, but it's not always easy to remember where they've already been. Unfortunately stuff like pinworms, coccidia, E Cuniculi, etc could spread easily via the lawn.

Amy

My foster buns are kept totally isolated from my own rabbits. Mine are kept in their hutch at the back of the house, and their run is kept up on the back lawns. Foster buns are kept in hutch/es at the front of the house and the runs are kept on the front lawn. Each has its own run, and runs and hutches are treated with a solution given to me by the vet and thoroughly cleaned before a new bun takes up residence.

My own buns are kept in a totally separate area to any I foster - and foster buns are only allowed to exercise on patio not grass to reduce the risk of things like e.cuniculi or coccidia taking hold. I use virkon as my main disinfectant and boiling water to sterilise the patio area, and I also use boiling water in the (empty!) hutch between buns as well as virkon just to be on the safe side.

My own buns are kept in a totally separate area to any I foster - and foster buns are only allowed to exercise on patio not grass to reduce the risk of things like e.cuniculi or coccidia taking hold. I use virkon as my main disinfectant and boiling water to sterilise the patio area, and I also use boiling water in the (empty!) hutch between buns as well as virkon just to be on the safe side.

I hadn't even thought of that Alison:shock: Something I need to consider in future. Thanks for that:)

Hiya,

we've got a petshop and so have to be quite consciencious about cleaning and disenfecting etc.

We clean all pens and cages every day with conficlean powder disenfectant, this kills VHD, Parvo virus (etc. etc. we dont do dogs, but it's the strongest there is), we clean and disenfect all the floors several times a day with dettol and use antibavterial hand wash between touching each / bowls / bottles / cages / pens and use the anti-bac. hand gel (tescos, sainsburys, named brand, whatever's there, we've got hundreds of bottles floating round so there's always some within easy reach. All bowls, food hoppers hard beds (kittens) and litter-trays are cleaned out and disenfected twice a day and water bottles are washed every other day (unless animals changing pens etc).

kittens are de-flead & wormed as they come into the shop and kept on stanby (not sold) before we've had them at least 7 days.

I'm not so strict with this on the bunnies because we breed them all ourselves. We do take them into the shop a week before they go on sale, but this isn't in quaranteen, but rather so that they're not getting moved too much too often and gives us a chance to keep a close eye on them to make sure they're fully independent and def. ready to go - none are sold before 8 weeks old. On the rare occassion we do buy rabbits, it's only ever from one other breeder who we've known for years and trust her rabbits like our own, but still hold them back a week before they're sold. After the trouble I had with the 1st 4 buns I got from P@H, I dont buy my own rabbits from other pet shops any more, just breeders and I tend to stick to the same 1 or 2 once i've found a good one. After the 1st one's been kept seperately for a week or 2, and i've seen thier set up and know i can trust it then they go into thier own hutch, which is cleaned & disenfected with a regular animal-friendly hutch/cage disenfectant, and these are in a home-built shed which has space betwen hutches and not totally enclosed so good ventilation. floors and cleaning equipment is cleaned every time it's used (floor disenfected about 2 times a week with boiling water and zoflora / dettol), pens are collapsable and never left up in the evenings, so constantly moved around, buns are treated every 6 months with panacur, in between with ivermectin, rear guard in the summer, vaccinated regularly and vet-checked every 6 weeks or so and we have an indoor "hospital" cage for poorly buns where they're isolated from all other buns. in the summer, all bunnies hutches are also sprayed down weekly with dynamite which is an insect repellant made up of citronella and various other strong smelling stuff which is fine to use even on animals and their food dishes, hutches, water bottles, etc, but mites, flies, bugs etc. hate it.

We're as vigilant as we possibly can be, but think that there's always more which can be done, you have to strike a balance i think otherwise you could spend every minute of every day trying sooo many different preventatives etc. and then it becomes clinical and you've turned your home into a lab and dont have time to enjoy your rabbits too..

Back