• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding males

traceybrowne

Warren Scout
Well i have 2 boys 1, 3 yr old and 1, 6 month and i just wondered if i could bond them unneutered. peter is lovely guy but the young little man is a nethie dwarf and i have heard they can have a bad temper.:shock:

just wondered if it is ok or whether to get them neutered but if they get on together without being done, it would save me a bit.:lol:

you might be successful in bonding them before their hormones kick in (usually about 4 months) but then you will probably find the males will fight for dominence.

In my experience, much better to wait until after the ops and then try the bonding. It takes a few weeks for them to settle back down afterwards too

oh err, just re-read your post about their ages - You will almost definately notice 2 different bunnies if you put them together un-neuteured.

:D

Last edited:
Personally I would not bond 2 unneutered males who are unrelated. If you get them neutered and leave them for at least 6 weeks to allow their hormones to settle down you may be able to bond them. Male / male bondings can be more trickie and difficult than male / female bondings, a lot depends on their characters.

I would definately get them neutered if you want them to get on - as a warning I have seen bunnies brought in to my vets where one has already decided to start the op on its friend for us.....not a pretty sight!!

Thank you well i would love to try and bond them. As they are going to make NO babies its off to the verts for the chop i think :lol: Going to cost but hopefully i will get them to bond just a matter of patience. They are lovely together when divided through the mesh but never put them together. So think i will wait i don't want no fighting:roll: or injuries to my boys

you might be successful in bonding them before their hormones kick in (usually about 4 months) but then you will probably find the males will fight for dominence.

In my experience, much better to wait until after the ops and then try the bonding. It takes a few weeks for them to settle back down afterwards too

oh err, just re-read your post about their ages - You will almost definately notice 2 different bunnies if you put them together un-neuteured.

:D

Our rabbits are less than 4 months old and we tried to introduce them together at first they got on but after a while would get a bit grumpy with each other. Then as they got a little bit older they have now started "scrapping" luckily no injuries and they are both still happy bunnies, we are going to get them neutered after christmas so we will try again after that.

I had two unneutered males together for 18 months and came out one day to find that one had ripped open the others ears.

I had them neutered a few weeks later (seperated them straight away) but they never went back to accepting each other so each got there own girly bun.

Back