• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pulling the pile out of carpet

holder

Alpha Buck
hi everyone, Honey my house rabbit as started to pull the pile out my carpets, it is wool & the pieces she is pulling out is a lot, i noticed the other day that she is eating some of it as...but she is sratching like mad then pulling pieces out with her teeth, but she like a rabbit gone mad when doing this, & i have to go up to her to stop her, she as done this a few times when sitting on my knee with my dressing gown.
Can any one help me please if they know why she is doing this. Many thanks :wave:

My Smokey does this (sometimes I think she was crossed with a cat!), I don't know why!

She has been spayed, so I can only think it's a bit like when they scrabble in the dirt, just a rabbit thing.

I know that's no help to you though.

My bun just likes to dig! She eats the carpet all the time, and every once in a while she'll "dig" my arm too. Its usually when she's bored with her toys and things and wants something new to amuse her!

Charlie also does this - and eats it!! He eats everything. Luckily, he doesn't seem to have a sensitive tum (although everything else about him seems to be sensitive!!!) I usually just move him away and put a cushion or old book there so he can't do it again. Eventually he gets the message.

preston is a serial carpet digger too unfortunately, and sofa and cushion and pretty much anything else that gets in front of his nose... yes, including bodily parts! he's not fussy, just something to dig on. the idea of him being bored with his toys amazes me tho, as he has almost every rabbit toy there is on the market. just good old rabbit behaviour i guess

Thanks everyone lol as long as i know she is fine, it does seem like she is trying to dig her way out :D i cant let her out with the weather like it is as it starts her abscess of, which is a shame for her. I do have a cardboard box with the yellow pages in & she goes in that & she goes though that in no time at all lol

Last edited:
Nettle digs the carpet and eats it too which I ws worried about - will be nice when I move out and have to recarpet the whole house.:shock:

Back