• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay only Day???

nina81

Alpha Buck
Do you guys have a day when you give your rabbits nothing but hay?? not sure if its an urban myth or what but i've read somewhere today its good to have a hay only day........
thoughts please!!!:wave:

I've never heard that one! Mine have just a small amount of pellets for "breakfast" and their greens in the evening and in between they much LOADS of hay. Can't see why they would need a "hay only" day?!

Never heard that before? :?

Mine get hay ab lib, veggies or grass in the morning, then pellets in the evening.

I havent heard of that - is it supposed to be a bunny version of a detox?:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i never heard of it either and was a bit miffed....thats why i asked, thought it sounded funny! winnie has her pellets and veg in morning and pellets in the evening with constant hay
some places give bad advice i'm glad i found this place!!
:D

I know that Burns have launched their food range which (correct me if I am wrong) is designed to be fed as it is...just hay, grasses and herbs, with the veggies

Jasmine gets a small handful of pellets 2x per day, loads of hay and dry grass, then mixed veggies and fruit in the evening

Ive looked into hay only diets and tried it with Ivor, it seemed to have a really good effect on his poos and he lost alot of his christmas weight.
I would have kept it up but Anna came along and she is very thin-whatever Anna eats Ivor eats, having them on different diets and living together is impossible.
In nature rabbits rely on grass but they would sometimes find some nice veggies, I would say 95% hay 4.5% veg and .5% pellets is a good diet, most people would recommend a much higher level of fresh veggies.

Ours have a small handful of pellets in the morning and evening, they always have timothy hay avaliable.

We haven't introduced vegetables yet as they were young when we first got them, am hoping to start introducing it soon

if i tried a hay only day i think Alvin would phone the RSPCA on me.... his whole life revolves around veg time.... lololol

around 4 months, we don't have an exact age as they were adopted from pets at home (please don't hate me for that, lol)

hey i certainly wouldnt hate anyone:D

you can introduce them to veggies now!. Small amount at first and also small amount when you introduce a new one. Mine love savoy cabbage, kale and carrots the best with a sprinkle of fresh parsley!!!!

:wave:

Back