• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

age for Spaying

Poppymum

Alpha Buck
Jasmine is going for her Myxi and VHD jabs tommorrow, and I am looking ahead to have her spayed. I have never had a baby rabbit long enough to have them neutered (always had adults)

I think she is about 13 weeks, when would be the best time to have her done? She is going to be a house bunny (living in my bathroom when we are at work then the lunge when we are home)

I can be done as young as 4 months, depending on how good your vet is, but it is best done 5 months onwards. If the vet isn't that great, 6 months is the best bet.

4 months...eeek she isnt far off that! Poor baby, will she be okay being as she is so young and been through so much?

I'm sure she'll be fine :D Discuss it with your vet and see what s/he thinks. Spaying will probably have a very positive effect on bunny's personality and litter training too :)

she is already fab with the litter training..has a little corner by the bathroom door with her very own pink tray (with some fancy litter) she only has the odd poop (which the dogs like finding and eating!)

I had Bella done at five months - she's now eight months old. Her behaviour became unmanageable and luckily my vets were happy to do it then.

It isn't recommended to have myxi and VHD jabs done together - there should be a two week gap, and then another two week gap between the second one and the spay so you're probably looking at another four weeks at least before you can get her done.

Hope her visit to the vet tomorrow goes well.

Rebec

i was going to say the same thing about the 2 week gap between the myxi and VHD jabs. Myxi first then VHD 2 weeks later.

:D

ooohhh, didnt know that!:shock:

good job you posted the question!!!

Dont worry if you see a skin reaction after the JVD jabs, one of mine had one also they can be fairly quiet for the following day.

2 different jabs would be way too much for their little bodies to manage all at once.

good luck with the jabs tomorrow

:wave:

Unless you're in a hurry to get her a boyfriend, or her behaviour is getting bad, you might be better to wait until she's stopped growing (about 8 months for a medium sized rabbit).

Amy

Dont worry if you see a skin reaction after the JVD jabs, one of mine had one also they can be fairly quiet for the following day.

2 different jabs would be way too much for their little bodies to manage all at once

I was just going to say the same thing - Tracey got in first!

Mine have always had a quiet couple of days after their VHD.

Rebec

probs wont get her a husbun until the summer, id quite like a sable Dutch, so will take some hunting...is it the same as dogs then? the longer you leave it the better?

Back