• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you need a car and internet to own bunnies?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if you need a car and the internet to own bunnies. My friend wants a bunny;

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102806

and she has neither of these. I do have them both and I don't know what I would do without them. Petshops and garden centres near us do not have good quality food, hay bedding, hutches etc etc. And what about getting a rabbit from a rescue, we have no rescues within bus distance, I had to go to the other side of London to get Milly and Molly. I was just wondering if anyone on here has not got one or both of these and how do they cope? If you do have both, could you live without them? Thanks.

I think access to a car is quite essential, unless you have another way to get to the vets in an emergency i.e be willing to pay for a taxi. I don't think the internet is essential to bunny ownership, after all people had bunnies before the internet, but it helps :lol:

well i dont drive. m boyf dus and so do my parents. i live @ home with my parents. if i NEED the vets or food/stuff 4 bunnies if my boyf doesnt take my parents do. but if they couldnt id get the bus. my vets is 40 minutes away, they r cheaper then the one 5 minutes away however, if i didnt have transport, i would take them to the more expensive one..and get a taxi.

i dont think you need a car at all. You need to be able to get everything your buns need, youc an buy online, buy in bulk, etc it doesnt stop u

as for the net, its a luxury, yeh its good for finding out info, but so is word of mouth, books, etc etc. it helps but isnt essential

I haven't pased my test yet, but I am willing to pay taxi fees and know that my neighbour, dave, would drive me anywhere if I really need to. As for the internet, well it helps. I wouldn't know half of what I know now without it and I wouldn't have acess to online shops to buy the best for them. but you could get away without both things if you A) use your common sence B) prepared to pay taxi fares or have a friend/neighbour/relative who could take you to the vets C) can find the best in your local area.

vikki:wave:

I would say a car is essential followed by money, lots of it for vet bills:lol: :lol: :lol: yes taxi's are an option but sadly around here, if you have an emergency on a friday or saturday night, you can sometimes wait upto an hour for a taxi by which time it might be too late for the bunny:cry:

Car (or access to one) - yes.
Internet - not necessarily. As somebody said, people kept bunnies long before the internet was invented!!

No, you don't need a car and if you're intelligent enough to research an animal before taking one on and ensuring that you are looking after it correctly then no, you don't need the internet.

My animals go to the vet on the bus, if it's an emergency a taxi :)

I dont think you need a car, as long as you can get to a vet if you needed to, like someone else said their is always a taxi or bus. Definitely dont need the internet:D
Sallyx

dont need either. I had buns for nigh on 9 years and didnt have car on tinternet..I have access to a car now, if I didnt there are always pet taxis

Helloo :wave:

I don't have a car.... i rely on a very supportive boyfriend :D who knows i will be hysterical if i cant get my bunnies to the vets and my parents are always on hand if needs be.
However, i know in our area there is a 'pet taxi' which you can call and they will come out, its also used for an emergency ambulance. As for the internet, a local library should have internet access, so maybe once a week or so she can look up anything that she needs to know?

Suzy xx

I was questioning about the internet because of buying food supplies. If you don't have the internet, how do you buy your food supplies? We have no good petshops or garden centres near us with good quality hay, food, etc. I don't think she has any access to anyone with a car, except us, but I don't think my dad would be happy to get up at midnight to take her bunny to the vets in an emergency. :rolleyes:

We don't drive and have taken the rabbits to the vets on the bus, in an emergency we have family members who can take us if not we would get a taxi.

At the moment we are having to use our local pets at home for bedding etc. but my dad has promised to start taking us to other suppliers that are further away so we can stock up.

We buy our food online.

I suppose you have to think about your own personal situation and the locality in which you live!

I live half a mile for my vet's branch surgery and about 2.5 miles from the main surgery. So a taxi to either of those wouldn't cost the earth - availability of course could be a different matter - or of course you could check if your local vets do house visits? (I don't know whether many do?).

The same with the internet.... depends whether you can get to a decent pet shop by public transport or walking etc?

The Hay Experts say this
Alternatively, orders may be placed by post or via e-mail. Payment can then be made via cheque, bank transfer, postal order or credit/debit card. Please advise us of your payment preference and we will sort out the rest!
I'm sure you can get access to internet in places like library's to have a look etc??

I'm sure it would be possible just think about how to do things first!

Hannah

Thanks Willow Warren. I didn't know Hay Experts did that. I'll tell her and then once a month, she can look on the internet in the library for info.

ok i'm probably gonna sound horrible now but i've read through all of this post and i read through the link you gave about showing her how hard it is to have a bunny..... i feel rather than showing her how hard it is you are aiming at putting her off, i don't want you to take this peraonally of course but at some point each and every one of us has been a new bunny owner and not 100% sure of what we're doing..... i spent loads when i first got winnie and have changed around things to suit her after learning more about her personality etc and i wouldn't even say they are hard work as such, everything i do for winnie i enjoy doing if ya get me.
all this internet and transport stuff isn't that important, ok if you don't have good pet shops she can find internet somewhere if she can't use yours and if any of our buns needed to go to hospital surely we would do anything to get them there whether its walk taxi or ask a friend.
i think you should feel good about the fact that she has a friend like you to guide her, there's alot of bunny owners out there with no-one to watch over them and mistakes are gonna be made. i think you should just be a friend and help her in anyway you can other than putting her off!
please don't take this personally as it isn't meant to be so i just think she's looking to you for advice as she is obviously determined to get a rabbit and the only advice you seem to be giving is not to bother getting a bun!
give her a chance!

ok i'm probably gonna sound horrible now but i've read through all of this post and i read through the link you gave about showing her how hard it is to have a bunny..... i feel rather than showing her how hard it is you are aiming at putting her off, i don't want you to take this peraonally of course but at some point each and every one of us has been a new bunny owner and not 100% sure of what we're doing..... i spent loads when i first got winnie and have changed around things to suit her after learning more about her personality etc and i wouldn't even say they are hard work as such, everything i do for winnie i enjoy doing if ya get me.
all this internet and transport stuff isn't that important, ok if you don't have good pet shops she can find internet somewhere if she can't use yours and if any of our buns needed to go to hospital surely we would do anything to get them there whether its walk taxi or ask a friend.
i think you should feel good about the fact that she has a friend like you to guide her, there's alot of bunny owners out there with no-one to watch over them and mistakes are gonna be made. i think you should just be a friend and help her in anyway you can other than putting her off!
please don't take this personally as it isn't meant to be so i just think she's looking to you for advice as she is obviously determined to get a rabbit and the only advice you seem to be giving is not to bother getting a bun!
give her a chance!

I agree. Give her a chance, we all have to start somewhere :)

... I really, really don't think, on a list of things essential for getting a new rabbit, 'car' and 'internet' should be on there along with the hutch and food, etc. =^^=

There are other ways to travel, and as for food... well, there are others way to acquire that other than via the internet I'm guessing. I've never used the 'net to get food or stuff for either of my bunnies. Nor do I own a car or drive.

Maybe slightly over enthusiastic in making your friend awake of the responsibility? I mean, it's great that you want to be realistic with her - but like these other people have said, you don't want to put her off entirely... do you?

No offence taken. I agree. I know, it's just that I think she may just give up after a while cos she doesn't want to clean them out, or pick them up cos they bite....
She hates furry animals and any furry animals that move, and she's terrified of dogs cos one bit her, so what's she going to do when her bunny bites her? It's just that she saw my bunny, and went, I want one. She didn't want to sit in with them or stroke them. It was just a bit odd, you know.
I was just wondering if she would actually be able to have them cos she has no internet or car, cos I couldn't do without them.

Back