• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argument over a rabbit

nina81

Alpha Buck
i just had an argument with my friend.....
she has a rabbit and she has kept it locked in the hutch for a couple of days because it chewed her boots...........................i'm very much of the mind that rabbits chew so whatever you leave in its path that could be moved or in a safe place is fair game so i kind of just shrugged and said she shouldn't have left them where she did....she started saying you didn't have to pay for them etc etc and i was like no but i don't leave things around that i don't want chewed arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she's now in a mood with me now but i'm determined not to feel bad....coz i think i'm right!!????

people who buy pets and don't commit to their needs really annoy me, i know i'm gonna be hated for sayin that but i do feel really strongly that if you're gonna have a pet you look after it.....properly!!

rant over, sorry guys!!! i'm not bein horrible am i??

No I dont think you are, but you probably have a better understanding of rabbits than she does. If she understood her pet she would know that theres a good change it will chew something it shouldnt and they cant be expected to know what is off limit and whats not.

Dont worry Im sure she'll come around, she's just cross at the moment.

She shouldnt punish the rabbit, it doesnt know its done wrong:(

you wont be hated on here for saying that....
there are many a threads on here where we laugh about what they've destroyed cos we know it comes with the territory, unfortunately a lot of people dont and the animals bear the brunt... They are animals at the end of the day despite the fact they may not feel like that to us and we have to understand chewing is a natural thing for rabbits to do.

ah poor bun, no you are def right. my buns live at my bf whereas i live at home with my parents, I made sure before we got them that he wouldn't get cross with them or me if they chewed things, which is a good job coz there are rather a few (loads) chews out of the skirting boards!!

You're not being horrible, it's an animal and doesn't know that it's done wrong so she should not be punishing it :( The amount of times they've destroyed my stuff :rolleyes:

Your totally in the right. If the boots were that prized then why not put them away in a cupboard. There is ignorance and then there is blaming some thing else for your own mistake. She is angry at herself but taking it out on the poor bun. I would have said exactly the same. Having said that I don't have many friends anymore...for some reason! :lol:

Last edited:
i just had an argument with my friend.....
she has a rabbit and she has kept it locked in the hutch for a couple of days because it chewed her boots...........................i'm very much of the mind that rabbits chew so whatever you leave in its path that could be moved or in a safe place is fair game so i kind of just shrugged and said she shouldn't have left them where she did....she started saying you didn't have to pay for them etc etc and i was like no but i don't leave things around that i don't want chewed arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she's now in a mood with me now but i'm determined not to feel bad....coz i think i'm right!!????

people who buy pets and don't commit to their needs really annoy me, i know i'm gonna be hated for sayin that but i do feel really strongly that if you're gonna have a pet you look after it.....properly!!

rant over, sorry guys!!! i'm not bein horrible am i??

not at all. I got my spaniel when i was eight, and she was jus over a year old. She chewed up my puppy in my pocket dogs and i was very mad at her! then i said to my mum 'im not mad anymore bcus she didnt know they were ym favorite' and gave her cuddle. my mum has always remembered that! i think if at eight a child can kno not 2 leave things out..an adult can!

My friend is going to get a bunny soon, and I'm worried that is what she will do. :shock: She is not an animal lover, she loves snakes and reptiles, but hates furry animals. (Don't ask me why she wants a rabbit!?!?!) You are no way wrong, she is.

She is in the wrong not you. My bridge bun Bunnykins chewed my favourite pair of trousers, I was mad, but I thought it's just what buunys do. She was probably right to chew them anyway, they were bright green and a bit too small for me:lol:

vikki:wave:

the damage our animals have done to our possesions is amazing, our dog ate her way through a new sofa!! Animals dont understand things like wrong and right like we do, its not there fault.

thanks everyone you have made me feel better.
she thinks i'm a mad bunny lover because i spend so much time talkin about winnie and buying her stuff or whatever but to me thats what you do with a pet.....she will learn hopefully!!!!

My buns have destroyed at least 3 pairs of shoes, my new jeans, my new rucksack, a hot water bottle and a good section of my carpet - it's not their fault I didn't realise quite how sneaky they are and how clever they are at getting into things :)

Back