• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free hay

karen354

Warren Veteran
I ordered the soft hay last time but found it too soft and bity, I ended up using 2 1/2 bags per week :shock: at least 1 bag more than normal, a lot wa getting brushed up and chucked.

This time I ordered the coarse and longer strands hay.
The bunnies are not eating it now :( they don't like the coarse hay, £50 is a lot of money to waste if they won't eat it..
I wonder why dustfree hay have changed the hay? up until 3 months ago it was between the soft and the coarse and my buns and piggies went wild for it, now none are suitable for my buns :?

I get dust free hay from a local horsey shop. They have 2 types, seed and meadow hay. Seed is a bit better quality and is about £3.50 for a bale (one of these lasts my 18 piggies and 4 buns about 2/3 weeks!!! and i give LOADS of hay!!)

I have had 1 not so good bale but at that price I don't mind, i just use it for bedding.

Other than that I get FREE haylage from where i keep my horses and they pigs and buns love to eat it! :D

Oh no! I've just had a big bale arrive, which I haven't started yet - hope the buns and pigs still like it. :shock:

Oh no! I've just had a big bale arrive, which I haven't started yet - hope the buns and pigs still like it. :shock:

Which did you order Sarah ? I'm so disapointed :( I've been getting it off the dustfree hay company for a while now, I now have 10 sacks of the stuff and no hay that they'll eat!

Don't think it gave me the option, as it was one of the big bales. Will have to open it and have a look.

I'll buy it from you Karen, don't worry:)

Hi Hilda :wave: but what if yours don't like it ? I must admits it's wondeful for bedding the piggies are going wild exploring in it :lol: :lol: still not ideal if none of them will actually eat it...

Hilda are you using hay in the hutch as bedding with the weather getting cold ? at the moment I'm still only using vetbed, do you think that'll be warm enough ?

I've stuffed their carrier full of straw and hay, so if they want to, they can cuddle up in it together, but they do still seem to prefer to sit in the open bit on the vetbed!! Some mornings they've dragged the vetbed downstairs!! Bunnies!!!

I've got straw from Dustfree for my bunnies and its very soft, just got a small bag to test to see if it was any diff from straw at farm and its a lot softer from Dustfree, i'd quite like to lie in it myself!!

Helen x

I've got straw from Dustfree for my bunnies and its very soft, just got a small bag to test to see if it was any diff from straw at farm and its a lot softer from Dustfree, i'd quite like to lie in it myself!!

Helen x
Thanks for that:D
Shall order 5 bags now:D

I might try dust free for my next straw order I have been getting it from a local pet supplie (don't sell pets) shop, but with £7 taxi fare on top of £3 each big bag I wonder it it would work out cheaper and more convinent from there.

vikki:wave:

I've just emailed dust free hay company to check with them it was hay and not straw they've sent me.. Its so different to the soft hay I've had, the soft hay is green this stakier is orange.
I'm so disapointed with it :( I have a very small amount of the old stuff left it'll only keep me going a day or two...

i have a bag of dust free at the moment that norman supplies to our local petshop. it is much worse than normal and some of mine wont even eat it. you can tell its 'old' hay. whereas the last lot i had from there was green & yummy & fragrant. i guess hes offloading some older stuff at the moment?:? i dunno but i will be going to the stables to choose and sniff my own hay tomorrow hopefully.:roll:

i have a bag of dust free at the moment that norman supplies to our local petshop. it is much worse than normal and some of mine wont even eat it. you can tell its 'old' hay. whereas the last lot i had from there was green & yummy & fragrant. i guess hes offloading some older stuff at the moment?:?

I have found this too. One bag I had was very brown and old looking and they wouldn't eat most of it. Last weeks bag was more golden and crunchy, whereas this weeks is greener and softer. It doesn't even look like timothy hay really, at least not like the stuff that I got from there when I started getting it a few months ago :( I wish I had a local farm :(

Back