• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat in my garden!!!

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Well yesterday was the worst day for a long long time after losing my precious Leonard.

So i took the day off work and decided to put Henry and Humphrey out in the garden for a short while.

I went back in the house but kept checking on them all the time.

Then I went and looked out the back door and there was a cat in the middle of the garden!!! never seen this cat (or any cat) in the garden before, so i rushed out Humphrey is so small I was worried the cat would have got him, but i saw him straight away hiding under an unused hutch... But i couldn't see Henry anywhere... i thought the worse, what had the cat done with him.......... :shock:

I paniced running around the garden, but then i found him...

In the tube thing... he was ok PHEW!!!! :D

He was petrified bless his baby paws, Humphrey had no intention of coming out thou!! got him eventually.

Had to lock Boo and Oscar in too and I couldn't let them out this morning (they have the run of the patio usually it has no cover to stop cats though so thought they better stay in till I can devise an alternative).

Henry and Humphrey live in the house and are usually so tame but they just went and hid!!

They had recovered later and Humphrey did his usual spinning round and round in circles when i brought their greens!! :D

I had two in my garden last week!! Both together!!!

Liquorice was terrified running around stamping his back feet for about 20mins!

And yesterday we had a kestral killing another bird - IN MY GARDEN!!!! You would think i live in the countryside with all these visitors....I dont!!!!

Its sooooo scary though....imagine how it feels for our poor bunnies!:cry: :cry: :cry:

If you want to discourage the cats from your garden - I've found the best thing is the Sonic Repellants. It emits a high pitched noise which the cats don't like so, they end up avoiding your garden. The buns can't hear it so it doesn't bother them. You can get them in B&Q type places and they'll run on a square battery for months.

Cats specially a black one has always bothered me in my back garden.

I was not sure about the sonic equipment what with Rabbits being so keen with there own ears,....

The old fashion water gun i think will have to remain on stand by....

I like all animals but rabbits come first in my garden.....:bunny:

I get cats in my garden quite frequently as most of the neighbours seem to have one. I worry about the guinea pigs more than the rabbits as both buns are pretty big now and I dont think the cats would chance it. Ive seen the cats looking at the piggies in a way I dont like, maybe they think they're big mice or something.

We always try to scare them off with loud clapping or with a bowl of water (not that I ever get them, they're to quick, but I think they get the message!)

my poor cat is scared to death of my rabbits!

i got a sneeky pic of one of them sat next to cat once, when she realised Blue was there she ran a mile:lol:

Image020Medium.jpg

:lol:

lol, don't get me started on cats. The cat pepper seems to work quite well, but i need to remember to keep applying it. If i actually see one in the garden I will throw water at it. Most of them seem to have got the message, but next doors is so daft it just won't learn - and they got two kittens as well. The silly thing tried to chase a squirrel up a tree this morning:roll: . Those that don't come in the back garden have started leaving presents on the front lawn :evil:

Do those sonic repellents really work? quite expensive so haven't been tempted to try them. are they really ok with buns?

lol, don't get me started on cats. The cat pepper seems to work quite well, but i need to remember to keep applying it. If i actually see one in the garden I will throw water at it. Most of them seem to have got the message, but next doors is so daft it just won't learn - and they got two kittens as well. The silly thing tried to chase a squirrel up a tree this morning:roll: . Those that don't come in the back garden have started leaving presents on the front lawn :evil:

Do those sonic repellents really work? quite expensive so haven't been tempted to try them. are they really ok with buns?

how about putting a sign up, NO CATS ALLOWED

:lol:

one of our buns we had years back when i was younger sat beneath a garden bench and on the bench led a cat....our rabbit bit the cats tail~! oh the cat was not happy but i guess its my fault for playing chase the rag with my bun....then when she saw adangly tail must have thought it was a rag!..

I have 2 cats and although my rabbits live in the garden, they both absolutely love them. My oldest cat is 5 and a Maine Coon breed so he is so laid back. When my neighbours rabbit escaped into our garden (before i had rabbits) my cat had never seen one before, but i went into the garden to find my cat and the rabbit asleep together in the cat basket.

He also loves it when i clean the rabbits out. He likes nothing better than to have an afternoon snooze in their bed area whilst they are busy roaming the garden.

I was worried about one of my females -garnet, after her spaying as she heaped on weight, but after rescuing a kitten from the evil :censored: next door i soon found that him chasing garnet around the garden for a few laps helped shed the extra load.

I'd tried the water gun, peppery stuff (buns didn't like that), and the Lion Scented Poo - they all either wash away, or you can't spot the cats all the time. I've found the sonic thing was the only decent thing to discourage the cats. I think I saw one in Wilkos for £20? My buns hop around the garden all day and don't show any signs that the noise bothers them at all (and Archie is a wuss!).

They say they're safe for other wildlife - and buns are wildlife i suppose!!

My rabbits chase my cats and play with them. Even Nettle my wild one when he was 150g and 3/4 weeks old!:shock: The cats often stalk the rabbits and then rush at them and just before the 'kill' moment they dart the other way and lick themselves like they weren't really doing anything anyway! Was a bit nerve racking the first few times I saw it!:shock:

I have 3 cats, my neighbour has 4 and just recently there are 2 young boys that have come to watch the rabbits and guinea pigs (who are free range in the garden), the kittens are about 10 months old, they come and sit in the garden and watch and even 'stalk' to play but then (if my dog isn't out there) the rabbits 'see them off' to be fair the rabbits are just going over to nudge them hello like they do with the rest of the cats that are used to them but these two kittens panic and run off. We also have other single cats that pass through but tend to just walk on the fence.
Most rabbits soon become used to seeing cats about and then they get braver and inquisitive and end up scaring the cats in the end!
Just pop a lid on your runs and they will be fine. :D

My major concern is for my Netherland Dwarf being the size of a big rat to a cat... :roll:

Monty the Lop is the size of a cat, I think he could hold his own .... not that I would leave it to chance...

I'd tried the water gun, peppery stuff (buns didn't like that), and the Lion Scented Poo - they all either wash away, or you can't spot the cats all the time. I've found the sonic thing was the only decent thing to discourage the cats. I think I saw one in Wilkos for £20? My buns hop around the garden all day and don't show any signs that the noise bothers them at all (and Archie is a wuss!).

They say they're safe for other wildlife - and buns are wildlife i suppose!!

Oh thats good then, will have to avoid the cat peper when i get buns and invest in a sonic repellent. plus i get staff discount :D

Back