• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much rabbit waste

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm interested what everybody else does with the waste from cleaning out the buns.

I only have 10 rabbits here (4 pairs and 2 singles), but they create enough waste (mainly wet newspaper and megazorb) to fill my dustbin every week. That would be OK if it was emptied every week, but it's fortnightly here.

I've tried taking the excess down to the local council tip, but they flatly refuse ANY animal waste. (which seems a bit daft, but I suppose rules are rules :roll: )

At the moment I put the extra waste into either my Mum's or Grandma's bin each week, but they live about 20 miles away, so it's a bit of a faff.

I try to recycle some, but my compost bin is now completely full.

How do other people cope?

Amy

I'm interested what everybody else does with the waste from cleaning out the buns.

I only have 10 rabbits here (4 pairs and 2 singles), but they create enough waste (mainly wet newspaper and megazorb) to fill my dustbin every week. That would be OK if it was emptied every week, but it's fortnightly here.

I've tried taking the excess down to the local council tip, but they flatly refuse ANY animal waste. (which seems a bit daft, but I suppose rules are rules :roll: )

At the moment I put the extra waste into either my Mum's or Grandma's bin each week, but they live about 20 miles away, so it's a bit of a faff.

I try to recycle some, but my compost bin is now completely full.

How do other people cope?

Amy

I have the same problem, and even spoke to the council to see what they recommended. They could only advise me to carry on doing what I am doing, double bagging it in black bin liners so you can't see the contents and taking it down the tip to go in the household waste container. Not very green but it was the best suggestion they could come up with :roll:

Our tip make you open your bags before they accept them.

How gross is that :shock: :x

I could probably try going down in a busy period, and sneak past them :lol:

Amy

I use very thick black bags from Wilkos and put them out for the dustbin men. They have always taken it. I roughly have about 3 huge bags a week :shock:

OMG :shock: Can you not put something unsavoury on the top so that they don't delve too deep (used St's spring to mind :shock: or something fishy :lol: )

Good idea, but we're also not allowed any food or general domestic waste at our tip...they tell us it should go in our normal bin. :shock:

Yes, they're a load of control freaks :lol:

My Dad reckons I should bung 'em a fiver to take the bags, but I might as well get a commercial waste company to pick up then. :roll:

Cheers for your ideas

Amy

I only have 2 buns [but also have rats, mice, birds and a hamster so between them create about a binliner of waste every week or so] and I tried using our *three* compost bins but because of the hay it just gets too much and doesn't break down quickly enough. I just have to put it out for the bin men now or occasionally my dad takes it to the tip to put in the garden waste. It's not too bad though as between us we barely fill up a black sack fortnightly with our household waste as a large proportion of our rubbish goes into recycling.

I only have 4 buns and a foster bun and I end up with about 4 bin bags full every week. My bin also only gets emptied once a fortnight and I cannot fit all the bags in. We have a skip at work that gets emptied weekly so I bung the bags in my car and throw them in the skip when the boss isnt looking :D

Good idea, but we're also not allowed any food or general domestic waste at our tip...they tell us it should go in our normal bin. :shock:

Yes, they're a load of control freaks :lol:

Amy
:roll: so what exactly do they allow then :? Thank God mine aren't so picky.

They only allow recycleable stuff like glass, wood, metal, etc. And large household items which wouldn't go in your normal bin like matresses.

I once took some empty paint pots down, and got turned away :shock:

Plus...they never bother to sweep up, and I got a flat tyre there once. Grrr :evil:

Amy

Have you spoken to your council? We got told that any animal waste cannot go in the green bin but has to go to landfill. No amount of telling them how green it was any good as they have to follow the rules of the company who takes the waste.

However they did agree to doing a refuse inspection :shock: where they came and looked through our rubbish to check that we were recycling all the things we were supposed to and then agreed to give us an extra black (landfill) bin as we had proven that we were telling the truth, recycling properly and genuinely have more black rubbish than the bin contains.

So, have you asked for an extra bin?

Maria x

So, have you asked for an extra bin?

Maria x

Ooh, no I haven't. I thought only large families got them. I will defo phone up my council and ask. Do you have to pay for the extra bin?

BTW My council has the same attitude as yours re. the garden waste bins...absolutely no animal waste :roll: I do sneak any waste hay in there tho'.

Amy

I put mine into black bags and my dad's going ot do something with it but as we haven't had them long, I don't know where it's going to go.:rolleyes:

What can you put into a wormery?

Last edited:
I put the used newspapers out with the paper recycling. I've had to get extra boxes to contain it all though. The recycling men collect it no problem, just make sure you shake off the majority of the absorbant stuff (in my case sawdust).

I put a small amount onto the compost - though I filled it in two weeks when I first got the rabbits and tried to be eco-friendly- but I just put the rest out in a black binbag (one bag a week). I hate doing that though, as otherwise we'd produce very little rubbish. Oh, some of the straw and sawdust gets put on the garden to mulch it and keep the cats off.

I think cat and dog poo is why they won't let any animal waste in the green bins, even though veggie poo like from rabbits is harmless.

Back