• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried bout berties legs.vets tmorrow

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
poor old fella...hes well over his abscess but when i last saw rob he mentioned he thought bertie had a bit of hind leg weakness but nothing to panic about..he thought bertie couldnt ump or anything..nah jus lazy olf frenchie we said....besides which hed been copying willow jumpimng on plastic boxes on wheels containing hay and the other with food in and off again and up again saying hey i do it too!

weve had some serious humping going on during the bonding sessions..old berties had em all! well he did try bandit but saw he was terrified and let him go..willow was the best one to hump he said..more his size..frenchie to frenchie!

well he was terrible to house train..then we got flooded etc last year..weve had the garden being redug up by the cowboys who fudged it and ive fought thru the courts for last 2 years! and the mini bonding sessions then the actual bonding session that thenext day turned into an 8 hr one upstairs.

hes beenw eeing on his waterproof dog bed and laing in the wee..hes been weing over the edge of the litter tray but he waits till hes desperate then goes..if he goes more often hes fine just has to turn his ample behind around a bit. But hes started deliberately standing across it nd peeing up whatever is nearest and then peeing on the bed..and then last few days over the edge and onto the floor and onto their toy bun tonight. i mop it up with kitchen towel and then clean it up with cage cleaner or hot soapy water or wipes.
bunny needs to be washed for sure tomorrow!

but i noticed he is holding his legs odd..like his butt has gone to sleep..hes stiff and clumsy but hes been that way since he came to live with us sept 2006. hes had enough check ups trips to the vets with a haematoma.chin abscess...vaccinations...mites.....claws clipping.....red wee and loss slightly of litter habits but usualy fine withing a day. just bertie and whatever his system decided to do!

but i am getting some very sad vibes from him..he feels so sad..he feels so wrong..do you understand what i mean?

i see willow use her hind limbs so very differently to his..i always thought well shes not a year old till xmas..and bertie is 31 months old..which is 2 years and seven months isnt it? but weve had him a year and hes aways been like it..hes always been a bunny who poos where he is..sometimes hes snozing and a few balls fall out..but ive never seen any wee drip or spot out let alone flood out. When he was over my mums a few times when they did the cavity wall insulation( im housing association they forgot this hoouse after 6 years of waiting for it) he did two little poos jumping in andout of his litter tray. he was so clean..soon as he got home tho..yep poo here poo there..do a wee on the pet rug corner just a teeny wee.

so i put it down to him being territorial..he was neutered before we had him..bif was just as bad when we adopted her..oscar cried cos she weed all over his cuddle cup and his lay n lounge chair he loved..he was a clean bun! bertie and bif soetimes are as bad as each other sometimes shes ok but hes a dirty old devil...but its in their patch so its territoria id say.
least im hoping so.

im feeling so guilty bonding getting willow thenbandit..but bertie was like that before they came here..he used to be terrible and pee all over the lounge his spot or ours..but he never jumped up pn the furniture and did it. he could jump cos he got upt here when he waned cuddles and he slept up there with his undiagnosed haematoma the other vets practice.."missed" as he was feverish. ( he saw the vet twice in one day and recovering he slept up there whenhe wanted to)
he doesnt stand upright like willow does and she can do it for ages...but ive never noticed it before till tonight.

maybe ive been worried after rob mentioned his leg strength....and am misreadig it all...but i have my lovely boy covered with wee stains on his hind quartrs..:(

i hope its something trivial..but i feel doom laden as i go to bed....could be bladder probs i guess...but i dont know...little and often trips all day and all night..no sores....no scalding but hes a mess..i need to give him a bath but im not..its too cold ..hes seeing rob at 5.10pm thursday..tomorrow or today depending on what time youre reading onhere!

as soon as i get awake enuff in morning im going to psonge his hind bits down and dont care how he goes for me.hes been like that since his treatment for his abscess.

could be arthritis i guess..the dreaded frenchie curse...:(

Has Bertie ever had a wormer like Panacur? I would wonder if he has hind leg weakness and incontinence due to EC. Good luck with the poor little guy at the vets tomorrow.

Rear limb weekness is a sign of EC as is loss of litter training.

One of mine lost bladder training last month. No real sign of infection and antibiotics seemed to work short term but as soon as stopped it came back again. Read somewhere that antibiotics do have a short term effect on EC.

After about a week we also started a course of panacur. Took a while to take effect and until about a week ago he still peed when he was about to get fed (excitement I guess) but now we have had 4 clears days.

The vet gave me 2 tubes of panacur (would last about 14 days for my buns) to see how it went but I've decided to extend to at least 28 days. Maybe more as it seems to be working.

:wave: thanks but yes hes almost due for his 9 day course..they all have had the 28 day one when bif had a positive blood test and they thought willows head tilt was e.c. the one to have his is bandit..i gave him one dose but then waited till he was settled and now i have two other tubes to do the 28 day course.

Berties alert or was when i went downstairs...he greeted me..begged for breakfast..scoffedhis hay and went into the porch investigating and used the litter tray he wouldnt pee in for the last couple of days..it hadnt been weed in at all but had bif poos in it.

hes asleep now.he keeps digging his waterproof bed..i had lovely thermal pet blankets on t and he dug them off every time and peed on them if i didnt take them away....wonder if its a bit of a tantrum going on but as he lived outside for 18 months and wasnt litter trained anymore..he found it hard to adapt here.he learnt by xmas not to do it all over the lounge and kept it in their area at least..hes overshot a litter pan by the patio doors but its actually bifs little one.he had to try n fit!!

i am worried its e.c.maybe when willow got the head tilt it wasnt e.c they reckon but an ear infection as she responded to treatment so fast.
bif bloods said she was 10% pos for e.c......who knows?:(
will wait till we see rob tonight.

Back