• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my hutch too small?

If they have constant (secure) access to the run I see no problems.

If not, you may need to upgrade when your buns have finished growing; although it depends on the buns and hoy they sit, lie, stand etc.

If they are a small breed such as nethies.then it will be fine..
The run you posted is not secure enough to be a permanent fixture....predators can easily get in..and have known buns to escape from them!

Ahh ok, I will save up then for a bigger hutch then. Its hard buying a run from pictures only and i needed something fold away.

Would another rescue have an issue with the size it is now if I promised to get a bigger one asap? It just seems a shame that I have an empty hutch when there are so many buns needing loving forever homes. Perhaps I should look for an antisocial bun that doesn't want a company bun?

Cool thats a deal! lol My Dad though he is getting on a bit was once a builder so perhaps he'll make me one.

Right just need healthy rabbit/s :roll:

get a decent size run ...with a lid ;) and the hutch would be fine

yep agreed
the run you have is great for supervised grazing time
and your hutch is ok if you get a new run that can be securely attached to it..make sure it's tall enough for bun to stand up on hind legs..string enough to keep a fox out and has a lid:D

We made a pretty sound hutch hugging run ourselves for our last hutch (as it seemed tiny once our bunnys grew up - a double 4x1.5x1.5). It was pretty easy to make it collapsable though we only needed it collapsable as a temporary hutch for travelling. We made the first one 5x2x2 (collapsed into panals 2x5 and 2x2) and have since made a better 6x2x2 (callapses into 3x2 and 2x2 panals).

The first was pretty simple it had 2 5x2 rectangles made out of 1x0.5 inch wood and 2 2x2 rectangles. One of the 5x2 panals had a door in it letting us open it to the hutch or close it as a run. These were all meshed with weld mesh (as it's stronger) and a trusty powered staple gun thingy (would have taken ages otherwise) We then used loose pin hinges (hinges you can take a pin out of and they split apart) to join all four together. For the lid we then measured the internal and external dimensions of the square and then made a rectangle to the external measurements and added slots of wood that would fit into the internal dimesions and meshed it. This was nice and solid and added rigidity to the run. We later made a floor from bits of marine ply as the decking they were on was getting messy and chewed. And we made a roof with some thin perspex sheeting with holes drilled in and tied to hooks on the run side to keep the weather out.

The most recent version is much better. Instead of loose pin hinges which did rust we used fixed butt hinges on all but 2 joints. This works so that you can fold up a large section (like a W shape but opens out into the sides and back of the run - getting the hinges the right way is fun, i can do a drawing if needed). The front section (or 2 ex2 bits) also had a butt hinge in the middle and then we used 2 sets of 3 eyelets and a 6 inch nail combo making effectively a loose pin hinge but more sturdy. We also used corner bracing at each corner of the rectangles which made the whole thing better.

If you need anything else i can dig up some photo's and do a sketch or two, it's really not too hard though, mainly common sense, though saying that as i'm an engineer by trade i may just find that kind of thing easy, well at least the designing bit, the making was ok but i learnt some lessons about assuming that the wood in the packs was the same measurements as the dimensions given on the pack. I can be a bit naive at times.

Hello, thanks for the offer but my Dad has totally taken over and is mid design! lol

He thought it was a shame that i'd already brought the run so he is making a timber frame for it and we are reinforcing the wire sides with smaller wire to stop escapes etc. He is on a bit of a roll and now and designing the roof! lol

Thank you though, I made him read your post. My Dad is a big butch ex royal Marine but you should have seen him ooing and ahhhing at the buns in need! haahah bless

Yeap definately, of course its costing me a fortune. Not in wood or wire but in keeping Dad supplied with tea and coffee, and biccies! lol

. My Dad is a big butch ex royal Marine :D :D :shock:

Is your dad married????? Only kiddidg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My o/h is 6' 7" seems to me the bigger they are the softer they are !

Last edited:
Back