PDA

View Full Version : guinea pig sore feet

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 09:49 PM
One of my piglets has got sore feet, red and sore and has dead skin on it. I was wondering if there was anything i could put on her feet to make them heal, other than vaseline. She has megazorb as bedding... but does have a tendency to sit where she has weed :roll:. Other pigs feet are ok. Just scrufter.

Thanks in advance

Joanne26
24-10-2007, 09:54 PM
One of my piglets has got sore feet, red and sore and has dead skin on it. I was wondering if there was anything i could put on her feet to make them heal, other than vaseline. She has megazorb as bedding... but does have a tendency to sit where she has weed :roll:. Other pigs feet are ok. Just scrufter.

Thanks in advance

JOANNE :wave: :wave: :wave: , where you been? Have noticed you haven't been around much, or have i just missed your posts? :rolleyes:

Not sure about your piggies feet though, sorry. I know you can use Sudocrem on the buns, but not sure about it for piggies :?

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 09:56 PM
:cry: I am bogged down with uni work, so when im not cleaning litter trays and reading tonnes of boring journal articles, i am either at work or asleep. :( I miss RU so much too. Ive missed everyone.

Spacegirl
24-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Try this;
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/ointment.html
I haven't tried it on my piggies, but they're other products are great, so I should think its worth a go :D

Joanne26
24-10-2007, 10:02 PM
:cry: I am bogged down with uni work, so when im not cleaning litter trays and reading tonnes of boring journal articles, i am either at work or asleep. :( I miss RU so much too. Ive missed everyone.

Awww, bless you :cry: , it will all be worth it in the end though????

Miss you too, so get them read and hurry back ;) :wave:

Good luck with sorting piggies feet xxx

SarahP
24-10-2007, 10:04 PM
As well as the ointment, you might want to consider adding some essential fatty acids to the diet - hemp oil is good and can be added to the dried food.

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks Joanne, im also moving house so its not going to get any easier :lol: x

As well as the ointment, you might want to consider adding some essential fatty acids to the diet - hemp oil is good and can be added to the dried food.

Where on earth do i get hemp oil from?? :lol:

TheGaffer
24-10-2007, 10:14 PM
All my rescue piggies came in with sore feet. Vaseline is good as a barrier against urine.

The only other thing you can really do is either change their megazorb more frequently or get them on vet bed. I put all the rescue pigs on vetbed and their feet clear up in a couple of weeks.

Nicola

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 10:16 PM
But wont they just wee and poo on the vet bed??

SarahP
24-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Where on earth do i get hemp oil from?? :lol:

A health food shop. :) You can either get capsules that you burst, or the oil in a bottle.

I like vetbed for piggies too - I put a layer of Megazorb underneath though, to absorb all the wee.

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 10:40 PM
A health food shop. :) You can either get capsules that you burst, or the oil in a bottle.

I like vetbed for piggies too - I put a layer of Megazorb underneath though, to absorb all the wee.

So what do i do with it though, when i clean them out? I clean them out once a week.. or every 5 days or so...

SarahP
24-10-2007, 10:51 PM
You have to shake the poos off and get rid of the worst of the hay, then stick it in the washing machine on a 40 degree wash. :)

SarahP
24-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Forgot to say, it was my vet that recommended the essential fatty acids thing, as one of mine has dry skin/feet.

oscarbunny
24-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all your help, will keep you posted :D