• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset Stomach

bruiser

New Kit
Hi There.
Can anyone offer any guidance please.We have two rabbits ten weeks old they are on the dried complete food at the moment,We ant to start giving them fresh fruit and veg but every time we try them with it they end up with diariah and I have been told this is bad for a rabbit please can anyone help.Its a shame as the lionhead loves all fresh food but she is the one that gets it the worse.(she even stole a piece of pizza off our plate :roll: )

Hello

If your Buns were not fed fresh veg whilst still with their Mum then they should not be fed any until they are at least 3 months old.
When you do feed it just offer a *tiny* portion, starting with some dark leafy greens. Dont introduce lots of different veg at the same time as you wont know which type, if any, causes problems.
Fruit is high in sugar and personally I *never* feed any fruit to my Buns as too much sugar is sure to cause gut problems.
Cabbage type Veg can cause some Buns to get a gassy tum, so I would be careful with feeding cabbage/kale/brocolli too.

Feeding more 'natural' fresh food like Blackberry Leaves, a small amont of Dandelion leaves might be a better way to start.

Janex

I would leave them for a few more weeks before trying tiny amounts of veg, When I first got Choci he was used to veg and fruit, but had runny poos all the time. I was advised to take him off all veg and fruit and provide extra hay. I began to try him on bits after he was 12 weeks and it is only now he is over six months that he can eat veg and fruit without it upsetting him.

vikki:wave:

Back