• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Greg still not well

Lillian

Warren Veteran
it was over three weeks ago that greg had his operation for his teeth and this time he hasnt picked up at all :( he's not interested in anything, if we let him out to play he will just lay there all day and he isnt interested in greens, he is eating but he isnt enjoying his food and he just looks so sad :( my mum is going to take him back to the vets, he isnt due to go back for nearly another month for his teeth to be checked but he cant carry on like this. If his teeth are really bad again then we will have to be pts :cry:

greg still not well

Hi,

What was the operation Greg had done for his teeth?

My Bunnies have regular dentals, usually about every month now, for overgrown molars and molar spurs. They sometimes take a long time to recover too, but sometimes it can be due to an injury from burring treatments, ie the tongue or cheeks/gums can possibly get bruised or hurt in some way.

It may also depend upon the amount of work your rabbit had done, do you know what happened and what they did during his last operation?

Did your vet give your rabbit pain medication and some pain relief to take home for him also. If your rabbit has been on pain meds and is still not eating properly after 3 weeks, you need to take him back right away. There is a possibility you may need head x-rays also to see if there are any problems with the roots?

Please give your rabbit a chance and do not pts, is Greg a young rabbit? If these are dental problems that have been caught early, there may be a good chance of correcting them, it may be that you just need some pain meds for him to help him out.

If he is not eating much, I would start syringe feeding him some of his pellets (make a mush) so he doesn't start losing weight and isn't feeling hungry till you get him to the vets, is he drinking ok?

Sue

his jaw doesnt line up so he cant grind his teeth, the molars keep growing huge spurs and cutting his cheeks and tongue. The vets spent an hour correcting them, they've done the op twice in less than two months. He was given loads of pain relief and an injection to restart his bowls. He is only a year and 4 months old but our vet said if he still has problems after the last op then it wouldnt to fair to put him through another op knowing he isnt happy.

I had the same thing with my first rabbit. Thumper had the first dental and came through fine, but a few monthslater it needed doing again, so off to the vet we trotted and poor Thumper had yet another op. He never came round properly, he was exactly like your boy, so i took him back to the vet and the vet gave him a steriod injection to help liven him up. Thumper was dead the next morning - pretty distressing for an 11 year old! :cry: :cry:

Since then i've sworn never to put a rabbit through it again.

Good luck with your boy, I hope you don't have to PTS but if you do I think you are very brave and you can take comfort in the fact that you are doing the right thing for you boy. Its not fair to let them suffer or keep them going when they're not happy just for our enjoyment.

Some rabbits can take a long time to recover from dentals though and pain meds after the dental ( for a few weeks if necessary) can make a tremendous difference. Do you keep metacam at home? Do you know what pain med he was given at time of dental, some do not have very long lasting effects. Also, the pain medication he had might not have been an effective one for him, try asking for a different one?

Although molar spurs can grow quickly, the times between dentals can vary tremendously and though you may have to go quite often for a while, it may be that it will lengthen out a bit and you may not have to go quite so often in the future. If it is just the spurs you are correcting and the rabbit is not recovering after 3 weeks, I would question your vet as to the reason he is not able to recover. Occasionally spurs are missed also at time of dental, if it is burring treatment that Greg is receiving you should not dismiss the fact that the vet could have injured teeth or mouth in some way. Either way, I would still give your bunny a chance and keep him on pain meds for a while after next time, see if it makes a difference.

Also, one option, although it may seem quite drastic and I wouldn't recommend you try this just yet, but if his teeth were really such a huge problem, it may be an option for him to have his molars out. Lots of bunnies have this op and manage on a soft diet, not ideal obviously, but something to consider maybe.

I hope your vet is able to help you out a bit more,

Sue

Greg could just be adjusting to not having any incissors i would deffinatly give him a chance though, my vet suggested i had my Guinea Pig PTS because his whole jaw is out of line which means none of his teeth meet up he needs dentals every 2 weeks but hes happy and until he tells me its his time to go i will carry on with his treatment. some vets normally have a policy of if you cant fix it kill it.

sending vibes to Greg xxx

Back