• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Exercise

MollyMay

Warren Scout
Now that the cold days are upon us. I worry about my rabbits getting cold when they are out in there run. I only let them out at weekends when I am there because it is dark when I get home. What do other people do when they are at work, do you let your rabbits out in there run all day, or do you keep them in there hutch.
We bring them in at night and they have a hop around the kitchen, which they love. Is this enough exercise for them do you think.

My girls go out every day, for about 6 hours. They only won't go out if it's below freezing, so in winter, I'll let them out at noon, when it's warmer, and bring them in at about 4pm, before it gets too cold.

Depends how big their hutches are really - with our weather it's a good idea to have a big hutch, as they may spend quite a lot of time in it. I'm in all day but my rabbits aren't out all day, as they seem to just want to snooze and eat their poops between the hours of 11am and 4pm, approx. Also a lot depends on the run size - putting them in a 3x6 run won't give them exercise so much as access to grass - which isn't great quality in winter anyway - an open space like your living room or a patio (which is what mine go on) is better for actual exercise.

2 of my rabbits have a double hutch where they live together. which is 5 foot on each floor, so they have 10 foot of living space.
And my other 2 both have a 5 foot hutch to themselves they live seperately.

my buns are out from early morning till tea time but they have extra large runs that is quite enclosed with a roof over them. they are in pairs so if they feel cold they snuggle up to each other. they also have their hutch to go in if it is really cold but over the last couple of winters they have been fine. as they are outside rabbits they will have a winter coat anyway. haven't had any problems with them in winter!

I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch single storey, and a 5ft x 5ft x 2ft run. Which is about 25sqft of run space, although, about 5sqft is taken by a house/box and litter tray. :rolleyes: I give them some hay to munch on because there isn't much grass around, and it isn't great quality. About 3/4 of the hay is gone by the time they come in.

Now that the cold days are upon us. I worry about my rabbits getting cold when they are out in there run. I only let them out at weekends when I am there because it is dark when I get home. What do other people do when they are at work, do you let your rabbits out in there run all day, or do you keep them in there hutch.
We bring them in at night and they have a hop around the kitchen, which they love. Is this enough exercise for them do you think.

My buns get in the house for a half our before I go to work. I used to put them in there run for an hour but its still dark when I get up.
When I get home from work they go out in their run for about an hour and half (then it gets dark), then I let them in the house for an hour each.

I feel guilty as they only get out for about 3 hours each day during the week. I try to make up for it at weekends.

My run is permanently attached to the hutch so they come and go as they please 24/7. In the hutch there is a bedding area deep in straw but they just seem to pee on it!!!:oops: I place plastic sheeting over the run to protect them from rain (they wouldn't go out in the rain before I did this) and there are shutters on the front of the hutch at night or when it's raining hard.

I've noticed they choose to stay outside most of the time, even though it's been really cold. Their fur has got really thick and the always feel warm as toast when I am freezing.

I have bought a snugglesafe in case it gets really freezing but they'll probably just pee on that too :lol:

Perhaps it partly depends on the breed of the rabbit? Mine are smallish x breeds and have thick fur and seem the 'hardy' type.

Mine are in permanent enclosures, and much prefer to sit on top of the hutches rather than in them, whatever the weather! They are sheltered from teh top and two sides, but still:roll: I'm not sure it depends on the breed - I have two nethies, a belgian Hare and a medium lop outside and they all do it!
As for exercise, their enclosures are fairly large, but they have a run out onto the grass for half an hour a day, more at the weekend.

Back