• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit dominance over owner!

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
Is there anything that can be done to make sure Ivor my dutch male doesnt thing he rules my flat!?
At the moment he is being very bolshy, with Anna but also with me, he has small matts on the back of his leg but i cant get to them.
He is very clever which gets him into trouble, I just want him to know its me thats in charge and for him to behave as he has got himself into some dangerous situations.

Are there any tips, or is he just that sort of rabbit?!

:wave: is he neutered? Barney sprayed me til he was neutered and Wobbles used to push my arm out the hutch and grunt and stuff and that stopped when he was done too.

Funny actually.... because last night I was giving Melanie a cuddle - I was kneeling and she was in front of me - and my boyfriend said he wondered if she thinks I'm humping!! I'd never thought about it before, but she (and the others!) thinks I'm boss!! (My boyfriend calls me Zofia-rah!! like watership down)

Thats really interesting, they may feel threatened when humans are looming over them. I was wondering if Ivor maybe thought he was dominant because sometimes he will lower himself down and I will stroke his head, I read that when rabbits are bonding they do the same position to subordinate rabbits who then groom them to show they arent a threat??

I also stroke him and groom him a lot and he used to lick me when he was younger but now he doesnt at all.

One way to find out which it is.

Caspian lowers his head when my hand is near him....if I stop and put my hand next to him rather than stroke him he head butts it, his way of telling me to groom him.

If your bunny dosnt do this most likely he is flattening himself rather than demanding grooming from you.

I would suggest having him neutered if he isnt already.

Thanks for that I will try it.

Just to add he is already neutered, he has always been quite dominant and very confidant like this even when he was a baby.

Are there any other ways to let him know that I am the dominant one?

Back