• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are these white marks?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering about these white marks in the hutch and the litter tray. It only appears where they wee.

On paper:
103ftc5.jpg

On hutch floor:
27zg5qr.jpg

etio7n.jpg

4v5vza.jpg

In the litter tray:
6hthc0.jpg

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT THEY ARE IN UNCLEAN CONDITIONS. I CLEAN THEIR BEDROOM OUT ONCE A DAY AND THEIR LITTER TRAY. THEIR MAIN AREA, WHERE THEY DO NOT WEE AND POO IS FULLY CLEANED OUT ONCE A WEEK.

I disinfect the whole hutch once a week, but it does not get rid of the stains. I was wondering if it's calcium buildup or limescale, as we have a lot of limescale in this area, I live in Greater London; the stains on the hutch floor and litter tray have built up over time, well, 5 weeks. The marks on the paper really shocked me because they only had access to it for about 9 hours last night and to create that amount of white mark is worrying. They seem healthy and happy within themselves. No problems with their bum.

Their diet is:

4 handfuls of SS pellets(2 in morning, 2 in evening)
Trying with different veg(fed spring greens, celery)
Meadow hay and Timothy Hay
Access to grass on clay soils for about 4-6 hours a day, every day.

Please help. Thanks

Its calcium.

Rabbits excrete excess calcium through their urine and it often appears to have a chalky texture and will dry white.

You may need to cut down on the calcium high vegetables in their diet such as kale, cabbage and brocolli

I've found a small cause then. Think I won't give them spring greens till they are older. I only started them on veg about four or five days ago, if that. It was happening before then too.

Bobbin's litter tray gets a little like that even though he doesn't have any of the above mentioned veg. I find that you really have to give it a good scrub to lift it, but by doing it once a week it helps it to not build up so much.

Back