• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milly has strange things on her coat

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
Milly has hard, brown tips to her white coat. Molly has it too, but less of it. It is only on the very tip and it is hard to see. If I try to pull it off, it pulls the whole hair bunch out. I don't know what it is. I'll try and get pictures of it.

Couldn't get any pictures cos Milly was wondering what on earth I was doing and secondly, my camera is not senstive enough to pick up the tips. I took a piece off and it looks like dried poo but why would it only be in one area only on the tips and looking so small? I could part the hairs from the brown tip.

My rabbits get things like this if their coats get wet or dirty for some reason. They'll groom it off soon enough. Maybe they've been grooming with dirty mouths and it's left on their fur for the moment.

Sounds like the common static mite (hay mite). They love to leave little bown dots on your bunnys fur :censored:
Don't panic though nearly every rabbit gets them its just mites that live in the hay, they are microscopic tiny you will not see them. They do not harm your bunny in any way not like mange. They are more irritating for the only reason they leave the marks.

I usually bathe mine in head and shoulders shampoo as it coats the fur and stops the dots sticking and gives your bunny a lovely shine. Also add a capful of detol to the water it will repel any nasties.

This all works fine for me. only other thing to use is ivomec but i find there is no need for static mite.

if a bunny is put in show it will be disallowed not because of health reasons just as it looks ugly:roll:

My bew nethie dwarf pictured bellow is terrible for them they seem to love her fur as it is so dense :censored:

Hope this helps:wave:

Last edited:
Hmmm no you don't need to do anything its really only cosmetic. They will not harm your bunny. They will just go as the fur falls out which mine are moulting like mad at the moment :roll:

Thanks. When should buns moult into their winter coat? Mine don't seem to be moulting much, although, they have quite a thick coat at the mo, and it has got thicker. When you stroke them, a few hairs come out but not much at all.

All mine do it at different times :lol: but usually around now. So if hair starts falling out in clumps don't worry its normal lol.

My nethies moulted a month ago Peter has just started and Radish not bothered :lol:

i usually put a piece of fresh pineapple in to help digest any fur balls

:) That def sounds like mites but you have to be careful getting them out as if you leave the head in, they can grow back. It's prob best to check it out with the vet. Good luck

I don't think it is a mite or tick that burrows under the skin. More than probable static mite. The mite doesn't burrow into the animal and it doesn't bite or suck blood so there is little risk of infection, it just looks a mess. what you can see is the sticky secretion that the mite uses to hang on to the fur or hair and this is the worst bit to try and remove. Thats why i use head and shoulders shampoo as it coats the fur and the mites find it hard to stick :censored:

If you are concerned i would go see your vet to put your mind at ease.

Back