• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thomas is now home - Advice please!!

newmum

New Kit
I told in my intro post how Thomas had to be rushed to the vet with stasis just after we got him.

Just brought him home (literally 20 mins ago - Im dependant on you all already!)

He is a different bun - sooo lively!:D Although he is still so thin and coat doesn't look good at all:(

Jumped straight :D in his cage and started to munch on hay! Gave him some corriander and parsley from my new herb garden (bought esp for him!) and he grabbed it straight out of my hand!:lol:

Left him alone for now to settle.

Would really appreciate any advice on making sure he settles this time. Anything to help him feel special and stay calm. Nothing is too good for this bunny!

Note: He was supposed to be a freerange bunny - I think the cage is a good idea for now though to make him feel secure? Hopefully will end up being just a base, but I want to get him used to the kids first. Cage is based in my bedroom at the mo so I can lock everyone out - I've been evicted!

BTW: Thomas is a 2 year old dwarf lop.

Sorry I do ramble on....

:wave: I think it is a good idea to get him used to the cage before letting him free range, he'll see it as his base then, should make litter training easier too :)

Just let him adjust at his own pace, don't pick him up too much, let him come to you if he wants nose rubs...so glad to hear he's better!

Where is Essex are you...there are lots of people from Essex on here now :D

:wave: 'The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham'. Has 'Essex' in the address though. As with everything that involves me it is not straightforward!

:wave: 'The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham'. Has 'Essex' in the address though. As with everything that involves me it is not straightforward!

in from essex hehe! actually LOADS of ppl on here r from essex now :O

lol we should start a club! congrats on bringing your little guy home, im glad hes feeling better xxxxx

hi vicky,
when i first got winnie i let her have to much space, ie a whole room with cage and the run of the landing etc, she got so used to it she chose where her litters were which wasn't in the hutch lol, so my definite advice would be to restrict him for a few day as this will take the stress out of litter training, make sure he knows the house is his and thats where he has to do his business and when he comes out make sure you have some litters!!
I always use reward based training esp for grooming and handlin and when i first had her i used to tempt her over for a cuddle with treats lol she soon realised that a cuddle was a treat and now she doesn't leave me alone lol
she has turned out to be a proper sop and i love it, but she is well spoiled to her grandad (my dad) spends ages laying on the floor with her and her grandma (mum) buys her all her rattles and treat balls and grows edibles in the garden which she loves! i definitly go with the you get what you put in theory with pets!! good luck...... you'll learn loads on here aswell there's always someone here to help which is nice!! :wave:

Thought everyone round these parts owned Staffs not Bunnies:lol: - not that theres anything wrong with Staffs, I used to have a lovely soppy one when I was younger!

Bit of a concern with Thomas - Has been doing poos since he has been home, but the first ones were more like cow pats and when I looked at his bum a bit earlier his underside is very yucky. He does keep grooming himself but should I do something??

Already called the Vet earlier 'coz I heard his tummy gurgling loudly, but she said the journey home prob stressed him a bit and as he is still munching to just keep an eye on him. Well, she said I could take him back if I wanted but that would be more stress for him wouldn't it?

I can tell I won't be sleeping tonight. I'll prob spend the night sitting next to him just in case

Idont know about him being stressed BUT I CERTAINLY AM!!!:lol:

If you have any baby wipes I would use those to clean his bum....maybe introducing new veg/herbs upset his tum a bit, try just hay and a few pellets for a while.

I know Dagenham and Redbridge well...we should have an essex meet up!

only gave him the herbs the vets have been giving him. Even bought the same hay and pellets they use to try and avoid upsetting him. Tummy is making loads of noises. Have pushed his cage up to the bathroom door so he can have a bit more space for a while. Feel like i'm gonna have some sort of breakdown! Always have supply of babywipes but I'm worriedpicking him up and that will upset him more?

We need a name - how about 'The Essex Bunny Gang' - Is it 'ard enough?:lol:

Back