• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poo and stink

racheld69

Mama Doe
:wave: When Barney arrived I was amazed at how clean he is - used his litter tray straight away with only the odd 1 poo out of it.

Nettle is still a baby (7-8 weeks) so not litter trained so when he/she comes out into the sitting room tends to do it wherever - and quite often near Barney's litter tray and food bowl.

Anyway now Barney has started pooing loads outside his litter tray on the carpet and i think doing some wee-ing as well. He was neutered last Tuesday and so far this had made no difference.

I wondered if it is a territory thing ie as Nettle is pooing about the place Barney is adding his too? I have been trying to pick up Nettle's poos soon after they are done but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Or is it because another rabbit is there full stop. They get on really well and love each other. Am not sure if Nettle is a girl or boy yet.

I put a new piece of carpet infront on the litter tray / in rabbit area and this made it happen 10 times more!

Last night and this morning the sitting room STANK - was horrible so got to get it sorted. Boyfriend is not impressed. Help please!

yes. In the daytime when I am at work Barney is loose in the house and Nettle is in his hutch in the sitting room so they are not actually together then but can say hello through the wire (Nettle is normally asleep in his Harrod's box though). They are together for about an hour in morning and then all evening from about 5pm until we go to bed then Nettle goes in his hutch again (been doing this coz he is so small and a real escape artist but is getting bigger now so soon will be living with Barney loose in the sitting room)

I'm not sure how quickly wild bunnies mature, but maybe Nettle is starting to reach sexual maturity? Then if he/she poos to claim territory then Barney will do the same? Just read that Barney is neutered so maybe he will become less territorial in time seeing as he has only recently been neutered and start using the trays more. Could you cover the carpet so it doesn't get weed on?

Hmmm well I am certainly no expert. I would definaltly say there is some marking of territory going on here. Plus if there are is seperate cages sometimes I'm not sure how bonded they'd be so could be trying to cover each others scent up all the time?

With my buns I kept them in a small space at first, cage and attached run, covered the floor with newspaper, when ever they pee'd I put the newspaper in the litter tray poops as well, they soon got used to where they were supposed to go and I gradually increased the area they had. Will be better when Nettle is neutured too :)

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure someone will be along soon

I had this problem when I had Bugsy and George. Bugys was 7 and a half when baby george arribed and the pooing and weeing got real bad.... it was always behind the sofa in a largish area we used as a dining room. I hate to say that I never really found a cure for it but at the time was not a member of this forum so hopefully someone will be able to help. :wave: BTW where are my Barney and Nettle picS!!! :D

I had this problem when I had Bugsy and George. Bugys was 7 and a half when baby george arribed and the pooing and weeing got real bad.... it was always behind the sofa in a largish area we used as a dining room. I hate to say that I never really found a cure for it but at the time was not a member of this forum so hopefully someone will be able to help. :wave: BTW where are my Barney and Nettle picS!!! :D

I am just putting a vid on of them now in stories and photos bit that i filmed 10 minutes ago! Still can't get pics coz the light is so bad and with a flash Barney is pink with red eye and Nettle blends into the carpet!:shock:

I have moved the food bowl away from the litter tray and moved things round a bit so hopefully there is not such a defined 'rabbit patch' for them to wee and poo all over territorially. So am going to see how that goes. Also got 2 very expensive air fresheners to keep my boyfriend happy!

Hi! I think it is, as you suspected, their is another rabbit around now and the territory has to be marked all over again... We went trough the same thing when Nena joined Falco... It takes some time before it ends I am afraid and might stop only after both of them are neutered/spayed. Furthermore, to learn to be clean, they can't be in a to large area. At least that is what I was told. The twins tended to do it wherever they want and the behaviouralist I know told me that since,they don't show any natural tallent to be clean, I had to put them in a smaller are first, get them to use their toilet in there and then enlarge slowly. So now they live on about 4 square meter at night and when we are not at home. On weekends I sometimes put them there for a few hours as well and I must say that their behaviour has improved since then, much less "accidents" and they really started to use the toilet!

:wave: no words of wisdom I'm afraid as I have the same problem, but i just wanted to say how much I love the thread title, it makes me chuckle everytime I see it :lol: :lol: :lol: I sympathise !!!

Back