• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pine cones!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm always looking for things for my bunnies to chew - not carpet! - and having finished off an entire apple tree that my parents cut down I was wonderig if they could have pine cones gathered from a local nature reserve? I searched it on the forums but all i could find was that theyre "ok in moderation" - how much is enough?

I've given my two pine cones before and they have never eaten a whole one, so i don't think that is anything to worry about. I did put them in boiling water and then let them dry out for a few days though. It kills any germs that will be lurking on them. :) I read that somewhere, can't remember where though?

WoW...I didnt know about pine cones being ok for bunnies!
We have HEAPS and HEAPS of those things around here, and the kids are forever bringing them home.
Think i may take joannes advice and put them in boiling water...see if my bunnies like them!:D

I get them off the tree in my garden and microwave them for 15 seconds. My buns aren't too interested in them though.

Rabswood

My bunnies love them :D They dont eat them though, they throw them about :lol: Just stick them in the oven for half an hour and let them cool before you give them to the buns ;)

I might go for a walk and see if I can find any this week :D x

Back