• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi and winter questions!

Joanne26

Mama Doe
Hi guys :wave:

Just a couple of questions regarding Myxi and winter,

Is it less common for bunnies to get it in Winter?

Are mozzies around all year? (i feel pathetic asking that, but i honestly don't know :oops: )

I'm feeling a little nervous after the bun across the road was pts recently and just wanted to know if there is any respite from this awful disease, or do we have to be vigilant constantly?

Thankyou

Last edited:
i read somewhere that if it aint cold enough the damn things dont die, so when time to wake up comes they are still carryin the disease..... everyone pray for a long cold winter please.....let the little :censored: :censored: die

i read somewhere that if it aint cold enough the damn things dont die, so when time to wake up comes they are still carryin the disease..... everyone pray for a long cold winter please.....let the little :censored: :censored: die

:shock:

Anyone else have any thoughts? :wave:

Just found this on the following site, http://www.gomestic.com/Gardening/Five-Plants-That-Repel-Mosquitoes.34525
Marigolds
Marigolds have a particular smell that many insects and humans find objectionable. They are a good plant for repelling mosquitoes as well as insects that can attack vegetable plants and aphids. Marigolds are annuals with bright flowers that range from lemon yellow to dark oranges and reds.

:wave: , thanks for the link, it's very interesting, i have the citronella candles and an insect repellent light, but hadn't really thought about plants :)

They are still so many mozzies about though isn't there :shock:

:wave: I have been trying to find more info out, some sites suggest they hibernate during winter,:censored: the female lives longer than the male:rolleyes:
We will just have to keep a careful watch, I have flypapers in my shed as well, the only thing is I forget they are there and I am getting a bald patch where I keep getting attached to them:lol: The things we do for our babies:lol:

:wave: I have been trying to find more info out, some sites suggest they hibernate during winter,:censored: the female lives longer than the male:rolleyes:
We will just have to keep a careful watch, I have flypapers in my shed as well, the only thing is I forget they are there and I am getting a bald patch where I keep getting attached to them:lol: The things we do for our babies:lol:

I had them as well, but after doing exactly the same it got too much to bear and i threw them out......they were a nightmare :lol:

Yes, I regularly go to work, with bits of hay, straw, sawdust etc stuck to my person:lol: I have become a great source of amusement, hubby watches from the kitchen window:lol:

Yes, I regularly go to work, with bits of hay, straw, sawdust etc stuck to my person:lol: I have become a great source of amusement, hubby watches from the kitchen window:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: , i have found a bunny poop in my coat pocket before whilst standing in the school playground waiting for my little un! I have no idea how it got there :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: perhaps this could be a new thread:lol: "Whats the funniest place you have found bunny poop" :lol: Shoes for me, although nearly my handbag today, I had left it on the hallway floor whilst putting shopping away:lol:

:lol: perhaps this could be a new thread:lol: "Whats the funniest place you have found bunny poop" :lol: Shoes for me, although nearly my handbag today, I had left it on the hallway floor whilst putting shopping away:lol:

I was thinking that when i posted last time! :lol: Mine has got to be the pocket, i even took it out and had to look twice before quickly putting it back :oops: :lol: :lol:

At least there's something to be said for living in the colder North - especially near the top of a hill. I don't think I've seen any mozzies around here since the last really hot summer.

It is, so I've been told, only the females that bite. If you see them sitting their bum sticks up in the air where the male's doesn't. Must admit I've never seen one that close, in this country.:)

I caught a massive one the other day, now before you read on you must know i'm a big animal lover and i'm a veggie, any way a caught this thing and pulled it's wings off, then it's legs one by one, then came the best bit which made me feel so good, i took it's biting thing in it's mouth between my finger nails and pulled it nice and slow till it was renched from it's mouth, then i pulled it's head off, and i did it for every rabbit that has died from this evil disease.
Don't hate me folks!!!!:evil:

I caught a massive one the other day, now before you read on you must know i'm a big animal lover and i'm a veggie, any way a caught this thing and pulled it's wings off, then it's legs one by one, then came the best bit which made me feel so good, i took it's biting thing in it's mouth between my finger nails and pulled it nice and slow till it was renched from it's mouth, then i pulled it's head off, and i did it for every rabbit that has died from this evil disease.

Thats really sick. Its not the mosquitos fault that it spreads this disease, it does what its designed to do. I do kill them if I see them, but quick and painless, don't torture them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: , i have found a bunny poop in my coat pocket before whilst standing in the school playground waiting for my little un! I have no idea how it got there :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

snap, except I was just taking a walk and went in my pocket for a tissue and there it was, ewwww. I've had one in my shoe too:lol:

i hate mossies (not just cos of myxi, but because they always seem to get me when abroad!!!!) so i play squash with them whenever possible, but please make it quick ;-)

my dad told me a tail at weekend: i dont know how true it is: that myxi wa sactually a virus which was created by man, when teh country wa sgetting over run with rabbits with the soul purpose of killing them off - if this is true then it isnt the mossies fault that its teh carrier (but squash them strill anyway as tehy bite like i dont know what ;-)), but please don't now do teh same to mankind......or i think youmay get arrested!

I had a neighbour who had all 4 of her rabbits put to sleep due to myxie, they were not vaccinated. At that time I had a mum and babies who were not vaccinated due to their age, I was fortunate and did not have any problems with myxie at this time.

i hate mossies (not just cos of myxi, but because they always seem to get me when abroad!!!!) so i play squash with them whenever possible, but please make it quick ;-)

my dad told me a tail at weekend: i dont know how true it is: that myxi wa sactually a virus which was created by man, when teh country wa sgetting over run with rabbits with the soul purpose of killing them off - if this is true then it isnt the mossies fault that its teh carrier (but squash them strill anyway as tehy bite like i dont know what ;-)), but please don't now do teh same to mankind......or i think youmay get arrested!

This is the history of how myxamatosis was spread, you dad is correct in what he has said. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis This thread will inform you about the current problem we have with this disease and its relevence today. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/understanding_myxo.htm

Back