• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats Better?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Okay i dont like buying online other than when i need to so, i cannot get SS if sum1 suggests it!

I have a choice of PAH nuggets or Excel nuggets

now i know everyone is going to be like 'oh no not pets at home; but for the same size bag its £4 cheaper, so what i want to know is...whats the difference in content? if its better than i will get excell but i looked on the back and it all seemed the same to me!

Okay i dont like buying online other than when i need to so, i cannot get SS if sum1 suggests it!

I have a choice of PAH nuggets or Excel nuggets

now i know everyone is going to be like 'oh no not pets at home; but for the same size bag its £4 cheaper, so what i want to know is...whats the difference in content? if its better than i will get excell but i looked on the back and it all seemed the same to me!

I think you go with the food thats the highest in fibre but not sure! I did order some allen and page natural pellets which are 23% which I fed alongside supa rabbit excel junior. I have now ordered some ss as the fibre is more than the supa rabbit.

ohhh i didnt realise p@h do nuggets... i know they do the musuli.... i guess you should go with the highest fibre content.....

ive got to try and get hold of allen and page stuff (thats what jubilee is eating at the rescue) and get alvin off excel even tho personally weve had no trouble with it.... im gonna try SS first when the rescue stuff runs out then ill be looking into bunny basics the fibre in that is summat like 23% wow

I'll just get the content of P@H for you, have them left from when I first got given Nancy and she was on them.

Protein 16%
Fibre 16%
Oils and fats 4.5%

Think that's all you need to know...

I'd go for the one with highest fibre and lowest protein if I were you, think it'll probably be the Excel.

I thought PAH nuggets were made for them by burgess? I'd suggest the lite version not the standard though as they have a better fibre:protein ratio so reducing the risk of excess caecatrophs. If you were going to buy excel in PAH anyway I suppose it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Do you ever travel into Maldon - the Emporium stocks SS.

oh does it? havent been there for years lol, i usually venture into there on victorian nite b4 xmas and thats about it!!

Do you have a Jollyes near you? I went into one yesterday and saw that they stock SS! Unfortunately I stocked up last time I went online. It was a little more expensive than the online price, but then you wouldn't have to pay postage which would make it much cheaper!

Higher fibre, and anecdotally people find that by swapping to SS from excel reduces the amount of problems they have with excess caecatrophs/sticky bums, hence lower risk of flystrike.

ive been told excel causes poopy bums..... not happened to Alvin because he has the stomach of an ox.... the rescue told me excel is full of sugar and jubilee probably wont be able to eat it...the fibre content of SS is 19% no idea what the sugar is listed as tho :? :?

My girls are on Excel and I have no issues with excess cecals/sticky poo. They love the food too, so I won't be changing. :thumb:

Bunnykins (R.I.P) used to have the P@H nuggets, they were alright but a lot less fiber, so I changed her on to excel, she didn't like it at first but did in then end. She did have a few excess soft poops, but I can't comment futher because she died shortly after the change over (please note I'm not saying they caused her death, it was just a coinsidence).

Lily and Choci are just changing on to SS at the moment, they really seem to like them.

vikki:wave:

now i think about it, with the PAH nuggest they do have lots of poos which are like tiny little poos all stuck together and are soft,...there weird!!! they neever got them while they were on musli, so im hoping if i give them Excell it will change back to normal

Sarah Jane I was looking at this the other day in Pets@home as I was wondering whether to change Benji over to Excel as timmy currently has it, or to change Timmy over to the Pets@home ones and keep Benji on it...........................I had a very careful look at the nutrition listings on both bags (I was comparing Excel Junior & warf with Pets@home Junior )

Fibre was the same on both
Ash was the same
Protein was the same

I think it only was different in a couple of places, something like a tiny difference in one of the vitamins and one other difference (cant remember what it was) but said it was 4% and the other 4.5%

So really not much difference, im not sure about the adult pellets as I didnt compare those, I decided to get the Excel in the end but the only reson being that Timmy is a very picky bunny and I didnt want to take the chace of him not eating the Pets@home nuggets.

As for my other adult buns they are all on A&P where i buy 20kg bags froma farm, this lasts my 4 adult buns approx 3-4 months (possibly more) and it costs about £7 for a 20kg bag, so alot cheaper than any shop bought nuggets what ever make!! We also buy large bales of hay from a farm to for £4 and that lasts ages!!!!

I can look up for you to see if theres a farm near you that might supply the A&P if you like?

As for the Excel Vs Pets@Home I would stick with whatever works out cheaper for you as a student im sure you have to watch the pennies:D nutrition wise i really dont think theres enough of a difference to really matter. As for soft poos ive never had any problems with that with any of my lot and they used to eat the adult Excel before i switched to A&P.

lol i do have to watch my pennies!! and if the content is pretty mucht he same i would rather buy them some willow balls or something instead of paying an extra £4!

They sell A&P at Upson farm sales in Hatfield Peverel - you'd need to ring them and they will order it in for you though, they don't keep it in stock. It's about £7.50 for a 20kg sack I seem to recall - mine don't like it and it didn't seem to agree with Santa's snuffles so I swapped back. Might be worth a try though especially if cost is a consideration.

It's made by allen & page but they do two special rabbit ones "natural" and I supposed "original". I may try it when the excel/oxbow t is getting low but it is one walloping great big bag if they turn their noses up at it.

Back