• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies need vegetables/herbs/fruit?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
Do bunnies actually need vegetables, herbs or fruit? If they have plenty of good quality hay, good quality pellets and grass, do they actually need them? Milly likes celery, flat-leaf parsley and spring greens at the moment. Molly does not like any of these. I'm trying different veg but i'm worried she won't like anything. I'm going to try mint tomorrow so i'll see how it goes.

have you tried curly kale? mine r greedy anyway but i saw lots of people give it their buns o i bought some and they all gobbled it down!

I don't think bunnies need to much veg as long as they are getting good hay/grass and pellets. Although veggies are good for them. I have to limit poor choci as if he eats too much he has very soft poop for a few hours.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as shes eating hay and pellets, but keep trying her on things, one day she might surprise you and eat something veggie.

vikki:wave:

Lettuce is ok as long as it's a dark leaf variety. It's iceberg lettuce that's poison.

Parsley is a favourite of all mine.

Im a firm believer that yes a rabbit does need some form of fresh fruit or veg. Purely for the fresh vitamins and minerals. Doesnt matter whether you feed a complete or not.

Try offering the items in different forms, and experiement until you find something you rbunny likes

it comes in a huge bag and my parents don't want to buy it in such a big bag.:rolleyes:

I noticed in Tesco's on Sunday that they had cale loose, that way you can try just a couple of leaves!

They were selling herbs loose in my local green grocers which was great as it meant I could buy just a few bit n'pieces without spending a fortune :D

On a lettuce note: are things like red/green oak, frisse/endive, lollo rosso, lambs lettuce ok?

Yeah, romaine is just fine (and they love it ;) ), Iceberg is really bad.

Personally I think rabbits should have vegetables, even if it's just for variety. Pellets, hay and grass must get very dull. :? They don't need pellets though, a rabbit can do well/better on a good quality hay (and lots of it) and loads of leafy green vegetables. :)

They don't need fruit, but its a nice treat for them, and not unhealthy. :)

It's said that Kale should not be given in large quantites

And that fruit such as pears shouldn't either (even though all mine adore them!)

I think too much kale can cause a gassy tummy.Mine love it but i only give them a small amount:D

All my buns have a mixed selection of a bout four veggies and herbs twice a day :D I think its an important part of their diet. They also have hay 24/7 and pellets. As with any new food introduce it gradually :D

I grow a few plants in pots on the patio especially for Fudge, mainly so he can have a few different tastes as treats. He loves parsley, strawberry leaves, celery and sage. Tried him on mint and thyme but he wasn't so keen on those. He also loves pansy flowers so mine get dead-headed rather too often.:D

Back