• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cimetidine

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I have picked up Cimetidine from the vets today for Caspian as another alternative option for treating his chronic GI problems.

This is aimed at him possibly having a stomach ulcer and should hopefully sooth his guts.

I was previously under the impression that I would be giving him Zantac, is there a difference betwen this and Cimetidine and if so what?

Does anyone have any experience of using Cimetidine and did it actually do any good in the end?

Any input much appreciated, ta :D

Good luck with it. I've no experience with it, but my vet has mentioned it as a possibility if my bunnies' problems continue.

Last edited:
My vet uses Zantac for GI stasis and it did seem to make a difference in a difficult case this summer. I have attached the page from morfz which writes about the anti-ulcer drugs including the one your vet prescribed, although the morfz page is for a different topic than GI stasis. It's the only info I could find when I first got the prescription and wanted to read about it.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myco.html

Oh balls.

They gave me the choice between Zantac (Ranitidine) and Cimetidine but I didnt realise Zantc WAS Ranitidine.

I took the Cimetidine because they let me have it for free as it needed using :oops: :oops: soon.

They're both H2 Antagonists ( a body chemical that stimulates the production of acid in the stomach) and work in a very similar way. They are equally effective :D

Janex

Ive given it to children before.. but not rabbits :lol: As said Cimetidine tastes better.. i think its peach :? if i remember rightly so maybe tastier for bunnies especially than minty

They are both rank... but thinking in bunny terms i think they would prefer the Cimetidine. Talking about tasting meds,lol, I was always told to say Baytril was sweet and sticky, pallatable to rabbits....OMG that can not be further from the truth! It is the most vile bitter and sharp tasting med I've ever tasted, no wonder buns dont like it.
(and yes....I am in the habit of tasting what I give my pets:oops: :lol: )

I prefer the Ranitidine, all minty :lol: :lol:

Janex

:oops: :oops:

Even more embaressed now....I have a container of what I have been refering to as 'stomach acid stabiliser'.

It smells of mint :? ......

So I have had Zantac here the whole time but didnt know it :roll:

Caspian preferes the Cimetidine anyway.

They are both rank... but thinking in bunny terms i think they would prefer the Cimetidine. Talking about tasting meds,lol, I was always told to say Baytril was sweet and sticky, pallatable to rabbits....OMG that can not be further from the truth! It is the most vile bitter and sharp tasting med I've ever tasted, no wonder buns dont like it.
(and yes....I am in the habit of tasting what I give my pets:oops: :lol: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think someone said it was liver-flavoured! :shock: I'm currently giving my guinea pigs Septrin, which smells like banana milkshake! :)

Mmmmm Septrin......its like bunny calpol, lol.

I was always told that Baytril was very sharp and bitter and that the taste should be disguised with something sweet.

Back