• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spurs

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Just wondering, at what point do people with dental buns take them to get their spurs done? My vet noticed that both Foz and Archie have the beginnings of spurs, but that they're not big, nor are causing any soreness just yet, so they don't need to be done urgently and to just keep an eye on them. Obviously I'm not going to wait until they stop eating due to the discomfort, but at what point do you take them in? We are talking 10 months since they were first noticed as starting to form and they're still not huge as they're massive hay eaters, thankfully.

I know its best to do this before the problems start too so i'm not battling buns not eating and then having GAs etc. Should i bite the bullet and take them soon, and get them both done together too?

Personally I would leave the spurs for the time being.

Try making them eat more hay (difficult I know!)

Having the spurs filed at this stage could potentially cause more problems, in that the procedure could cause stress, the vet might catch their gum/tongue which could cause them to stop eating, the G.A. (if needed) has potential risks.

With a bit of luck, the spurs might not develop any more, and the op. would have been pointless.

Vets often tell you the worst case scenario :roll:

Amy

Sadly the only sign Fiver ever shows is that he is starting to lose weight.....even though he is still eager to eat.

It bothers me because to me by the time he is loosing weight they have already been a problem him for a while but he is so good at hiding it.

Forgot to add...bunnies needing dentals often do a 'chewing gum' face. :lol: i.e. they chew when they aren't eating.

My vet thinks this might be because food gets stuck in nooks and crannies in their mouth when their teeth aren't right.

I'm sure you probbaly know the other signs to look out for...dribbling, wet chin, not eating certain foods, runny eyes, etc. (either singularly or a combination of the aforementioned symptoms).

Amy

We've got recent weights for both the buns so i can see if they're dropping weight. Archie hasn't had his teeth done before (hes 2 1/2 years old) so I don't know his "style" yet. Fozzie had hers done nearly two years ago now, and with her it was a messy bottom.

I'll make sure I just take them for regular check ups - their jabs are all falling at different times, so I'm always at the vets!

Thanks for your thoughts - its good to get others' views.

Back