• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will they fight over food?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I usually give my buns their food in a snack ball and a bowl together, this is morning and evening. I give my buns their breakfast in their hutch and their dinner in their run. As winter nights are closing in, I will want to give them their dinner in their hutch. Will this cause more fights between them, as it is a smaller space? They are usually quite happy, but sometimes, they can be a bit temperantal over their food. They usually both go for the bowl or both go for the ball. It's the ball that is causing the problems, cos they eat happily together from the bowl. Should I use two bowls, and forget the snack ball until after they are spayed and can have their dinner in the run?

If the ball is causing the problem then I would lose the ball or buy another one. Buying another one may not solve the problem though.

We feed ours using a big bowl. All four eat very happily out of the same bowl. (Ours are in groups of 4,4,2,1) We have had as many as 11 all eating at the same time from the same bowl despite the fact that there two other bowls of food available and untouched! Space never seems to be an issue - they just climb over or sneak under each other.

Incidentally our food bowls are old frying pans with the handles removed. They are brilliant as they can be thrown around without breaking and won't cut the bunnies. Also heavy enough not to be thrown too far!

If you think the bowl will be a problem (but I don't see why if they are using it in the hutch already for a different meal) then just tip the food straight on the hutch floor and scatter it bit.

Obviously this is just my opinion - you know your rabbits best :D

Maria x

Back