• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caramel u/d 5th Nov.. Vet visit

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Got up to turn heating off and Caramel is making snoring noises and struggling to breathe. Been on phone to emergency vets who are miles away. Was talking for ages. They told me to use Olbas Oil and keep her warm. Her nose sounds blocked with mucas I don't think it is the nodule. My vets re open in hour and half. This vet did not recommend taking her to them as the journey will be stressful and increase her breathing rate and she would have to be moved to mine at 7.30 anywa. So I am waiting til mine open at 8 am. In the meant time I need tips on how to keep her breathing. The snoring noise is intermittent and she does keep trying to clear her nose. She has been eating and pooping all night. She is now very cross and throwing things around. I am so worried guys. Pls any advice..I am desperate.

Last edited:
Don't really know what to suggest other than follow the Vets advice. I think I'd take heart in the fact that she's feeling well enough to throw a strop.

Not much help but good luck
1.gif

Thankyou... I am frantic.. I am sat right here with her and the olbas oil... my nose is streaming lol. She is sat quietly now... we just need to get to 8 am. She said they would probably give her something in a syring to break up the mucas

Try taking her into the bathroom and run hot bath/shower so the bathroom steams up
Can you see any mucus in her nostrils ? Sometimes a thick plug of it gets stuck. You can attempt to clear it with a cotton bud as long as she doesn't get very stressed as you do so.

Try to stay calm around her as she will pick up on your fear

Sending millions of vibes for her

Janex

Thanks Jane... god I was hoping you would come along... right am going to run a bath now. Can't see any lumps but she gets really cross when I fiddle around with her.

Thanks Jane... god I was hoping you would come along... right am going to run a bath now. Can't see any lumps but she gets really cross when I fiddle around with her.

OK, just leave her be in a steamy bathroom. Try to act as though everything is perfectly normal. I know it's near on impossible to do but it will help her if you stay calm.

Janex

Right we have olbas oiled and really she is no better. It didnt help that she wanted to explore the bathroom. Only 40 mins til vets. She was enjoying nose rubs and was drifting off.

Thankyou so much.. she has just eaten some treats. We are both tired.. she keeps trying to drop off. It was quite by chance I found her I came down to turn heating down. I am frantic but tryin to follow Jane's advice. My nose is running from all the steam and olbas oil. Wish hers was too. I can't believe we have had such a relapse in week 4 of this nodular myxi when we have been doing so well.

Back