• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shop Trouble

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Not sure if this is in the right section.....:D

A oet shop near me has two stores (it's not a large chain) and i went in today and saw or the first time that they keep rabbits a piggies there. I ususally just rush in on my lunch hour and have never really looked round properly.

There were about 7 of the glass tanks at the back of the shop, and 5 of these had rabbits living with piggies. There was only one bowl of mix food per tank, so not catering for the needs of both animals. They also had no hay at all in any of the tanks.

I have written a letter but not postd it yet, just wanted to run it by you guys? I'm speaking to the council tomorrow (dept. i needed was shut this aft) and will see what they say before i post it out.

Dear Sir,

I am writing to raise a few concerns I have with you regarding the accommodation of some of your animals at the store in ......

I was in at lunch time buying some things for my pets, when I noticed that you have 5 glass tanks with rabbits and guinea pigs living together.

It is recommended by both the RSPCA and the Blue Cross charities that rabbits and guinea pigs are not kept together for a variety of reasons.

One of these reasons is the difference in dietary requirements between rabbits and guinea pigs; being that guinea pigs cannot synthesise their own Vitamin C and rabbits can, therefore guinea pigs need extra Vitamin C and rabbits do not.

I also noticed that in your store, the tanks with both rabbits and guinea pigs only had one bowl of food which was a mix. I am presuming that this was more a guinea pig food, rather than rabbit food, as mixes are not ideal for rabbits. Rabbits need a high fibre, low protein diet and Excel and Science Selective provide this, rather than a mix.

Mixed food which claims to be suitable for both rabbits and guinea pigs are not so, as it is impossible to provide for the needs of both animals in one mix because of the Vitamin C issues.

Hay should also form 90% of a rabbit’s diet (with fresh veg as 5% and pellets as the remaining 5%) and should be available 24 hours a day, yet there was no hay to be seen in any of the tanks.

I have enclosed some information from various websites to back up my comments and I would be grateful if you could respond to my letter with your comments.

Please also note that it is for all of the above reasons why Pets at Home no longer keep their rabbits with guinea pigs.

Yours Sincerely,

is it a bit full on?! :roll: :lol:

I commented to the girl there and her only comment was "well i keep them together at home" mmmm, so obv that makes it ok.

Anyway, any comments welcome.

thanks

ps: i have enclosed 5 pages :)roll: ) of info to support my comments including resp diseases, behaviour etc.

Last edited:
:shock: blimey even i am scared by your authoritive letter lol :lol: VERY WELL DONE!! bravo! but may i suggest not mentioning that you came in at lunch time as it may make it very awkward for you in future if they remember you, which means you may not be welcome in the shop again therefore not be able to keep and eye on the outcome ;)

I think what you are saying is good, however you may find changing the middle section to something like this to be better.

One of these reasons is the difference in dietary requirements between rabbits and guinea pigs; being that guinea pigs cannot synthesise their own Vitamin C and rabbits can, therefore guinea pigs need extra Vitamin C and rabbits do not.

I also noticed that in your store, the tanks with both rabbits and guinea pigs only had one bowl of food which was a mix, mixes usually contain a low fibre and high protein content. Rabbits however need a high fibre, low protein diet. Mixed food which claim to be suitable for both rabbits and guinea pigs are not so, as it is impossible to provide for the needs of both animals in one mix because of the Vitamin C and protein / fibre issues.

My own personal view would be to keep other pet store names out of the letter and also not suggest names of brands of food, if you wish to suggest a type of food, I would perhaps just suggest a pelleted type of food instead.

There are also some good suggestions and wording you can use on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74058 which you could bring into your letter.

The letter is really good and with Janice's change to the rabbits and guinea pigs bit, excellent. It is factual rather than emotional and comes across as written by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Good luck.

My local Pets at Home still have rabbit and guinea pigs together :cry: I went in for a look last week and there was a really lively big rabbit in with one tiny piggie and the rabbit was chasing the poor pig round.
I think it might be a good idea to mention that rabbits can bully and frighten little piggies and cause injuries to them.

My local Pets at Home still have rabbit and guinea pigs together :cry: I went in for a look last week and there was a really lively big rabbit in with one tiny piggie and the rabbit was chasing the poor pig round.
I think it might be a good idea to mention that rabbits can bully and frighten little piggies and cause injuries to them.

Hi Estelle, thanks for reply.

Yes that about the bullying is included in my 5 page :)lol: ) information pack!!

Thanks for that though
x

thanks for all replies and thoughts.

At work so can't write much but wanted to say thanks.

Will keep you all posted! :D

i wrote to my pets at ahome about the same issue and within two days they were all seperate! maybe you could try writing a letter?x

I have to admit, that is my one bug bear with my company, I am allowed to tell people that "In my opinion buns and pigs should not live together" but :censored: PC wont back it up...drives me mad

Update.....

I have not sent the letter yet as decided to see what the RSPCA thought first.
They have said they will look into it and call me back with outcome/update :D

With regards to them knowing it was me who grased 'em up, i don't mind as i certainy won't be shopping there. I prefer P@H, who unfortunatley don't sell SS so i will just have to order that online in future!! :lol:

Back