• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too late to have her speyed?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Hey Guys :wave: Just wondering if its too late in the year to get Rhia speyed? As in, being indoors for a few days then back out in the cold. Mum recons we should have her done next week or we'll have to wait til next year when it warms up & we really want to get the girls rebonded X

personally she may find it cold but im not sure, aslong as you take steps to keep her hutch warm... have you got a snugglesafe?
xxx

personally she may find it cold but im not sure, aslong as you take steps to keep her hutch warm... have you got a snugglesafe?
xxx

They have a huge hutch filled to the top with straw and hay, plus boxes etc with blankets inside/on top of - and a friend to cuddle up to. I really dont want to wait til feb/march to have her done :?

i think it should be fine as long as you dont use much straw as i was told off my vet that the straw can cut into the wound :? (not sure how true that is just what i was told lol) a snugglesafe would be good as well to help keep her warm :D

It is still ok to get your bun neutered. All rescues have to continue getting rabbits neutered through out the year. In the colder months I will keep a rabbit indoors for a couple of nights, after the first night I will move them to an area of the house where it is not too warm prior to putting them back out in the hutch again. When they go back out often after 2 nights in, I will give them lots of soft hay made into a hollowed out hole with a towel or vet bed over the bottom of the hole so they can snuggle down into it if they require.

I had Choci and lily done last week, they stayed in the vets the first night, but the second night they were back in there hutches. I kept there hutches well covered and had a thick layer of newspaper toped with vet bed but you could use fleece. I wouldn't use straw as it could get stuck in the wound and cause unnessary pain and infection to your bun. I also but hot water bottles under the vet bed and this kept the air in the hutch a comfortable temperature.

If your buns like My lily and misses the straw use shredded paper, although she still missed the straw it did help, as she wouldn't pee without out it:roll: Also after the first 3 days I let lily have some very soft hay or should I say lily helped herself from her hays holding place:lol: were now on day five... sorry just looked at the clock day six.... I gave them some straw back today, not much but enough to please Lily.

vikki:wave:

after the surgery, you have to put the bun inside for a few nights, and make sure she doesn't jump up on any level/platform and make sure the wound is internally stitched by the surgeon

I have to have my buns spayed in November/December because of the timings, I don't want to wait till March. I'm going to have them in for one night, and then I'm going to put them into a cold room for the next night, and then outside in their hutch the morning so they can get used to the temperatures before nightfall. I'm going to put vetbed, a snugglesafe and some hay in their hutch, with a duvet cover and plastic sheet over top. And they have each other too. This is regarding if they recover well.

after the surgery, you have to put the bun inside for a few nights, and make sure she doesn't jump up on any level/platform and make sure the wound is internally stitched by the surgeon

I know how to care for them afterwards, Have had rabbits speyed before just not at this time of year. Thanks for replies, Will book her in :) x

Back