• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice please

scatter

Alpha Buck
One of my bunnies, Sammy, last week had suspected pasturella. He had to be kept in at vets overnight to get his temperature up, etc. (I wonder if it is because he had a reaction to VHD vaccination?).

His temperature was brought up to nearly normal, but ever since and all over the weekend he has not been eating any dried food. He will accept grass, hay and veg and I am syringe feeding him. He is on maxolon and baytril. He is bright enough but is hardly pooping at all. For instance he has not pooped at all today and this is what is worrying me. Any advice gratefully received.

One of my bunnies, Sammy, last week had suspected pasturella. He had to be kept in at vets overnight to get his temperature up, etc. (I wonder if it is because he had a reaction to VHD vaccination?).

His temperature was brought up to nearly normal, but ever since and all over the weekend he has not been eating any dried food. He will accept grass, hay and veg and I am syringe feeding him. He is on maxolon and baytril. He is bright enough but is hardly pooping at all. For instance he has not pooped at all today and this is what is worrying me. Any advice gratefully received.

Apart from hypothermia what other symptoms made your Vet suspect Pasteurella?
How old is Sammy?
Has he had any history of Dental problems?

Janex

He developed extremely runny eyes and runny (white discharge) from nose. He was quiet and not himself. He actually has his (front) teeth filed every four weeks and vet closely monitors this problem?

He developed extremely runny eyes and runny (white discharge) from nose. He was quiet and not himself. He actually has his (front) teeth filed every four weeks and vet closely monitors this problem?

I would advise you to get the Vet to check his molar (back) teeth
All the symptoms you describe possibly indicate a problem with his molars. Maybe spurs (sharp spikes) which can cut into the cheeks/tongue
The pain from this can reduce GI motility and trigger a latent Pasteurella infection
Has the Vet suggested a skull Xray to assess the tooth *roots*
Elongated tooth roots can cause runny eyes, nasal discharge and sneezing

Janex

Yes I actually saw him this morning and he did wonder about this - he said he would be worried about sedating Sammy at the moment though. The symptoms of the sneezing/runny nose have cleared up - it is just this lack of pooping that seems to be the problem - also not eating dried food - is still accepting dandelion, etc. Do you know if its okay to give pineapple juice whilst he is also on Maxolon?

Yes I actually saw him this morning and he did wonder about this - he said he would be worried about sedating Sammy at the moment though. The symptoms of the sneezing/runny nose have cleared up - it is just this lack of pooping that seems to be the problem - also not eating dried food - is still accepting dandelion, etc. Do you know if its okay to give pineapple juice whilst he is also on Maxolon?

Pineapple Juice wont do anything useful. If you are thinking of the enzyme in Pineapple (Bromelain) which may help break down fur in the guts then it needs to be FRESH Pineapple. The Enzyme is destroyed in the process of pasteurising Pineapple Juice.

I suspect her lack of poo is directly related to her Dental problems ie a *secondary* symptom not the primary problem.

You could try soaking her pellet feed in a bit of warm water. She may eat them if they are softer.

Janex

you could try warm blackcurrent diyralite it will only boost him and make him feel a bit better mine love it as a treat and when thier in show i just rehydrates them and boosts them thats how i got lil miss to start eating when she was living on my bed it only took 1 night and you could really see the difference:D

Thanks very much - have tried variants of both these pieces of advice and he is actually starting to produce poops and is going to food bowl, nibbling bits and eating grass. I will keep this up - thanks a lot.

Back