• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my 14-week-old girls go outside for 8 hours? & ques. about rain

Can they be let out for 8 hours, when it rains and shall there be a plastic cover?

• Yes, put them out for 8 hours

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No, put them out for less than 8 hours (please post)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, put them out if it rains

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No, don't put them out if it rains

• Yes, use a plastic cover

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No, don't use a plastic cover

• Total voters

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I usually have my girls out for 4-6 hours a day when I'm at school, and about 8 hours a day when I'm not at school. Is this ok? And now the dark nights are closing in, I'm thinking of giving them 8 hours a day freedom in their run, putting them in before school and getting them out after. Is this ok for their age? And can they be put outside if it's going to rain? They have two hideouts, a house/box and an enclosed litter tray, and they can sit on their house/box under the run cover. Shall I put a plastic cover over the run to protect against wind and rain or is it ok as it is?

:wave: I would put a plastic cover over and make sure that there is somewhere warm and dry and snuggly they can go if it is really cold and miserable as I guess it is not attached to the hutch?

no, it's not attacted. Do you think i should put vetbed and barley straw in the house/box? They do use it as a litter tray at the mo, so....:rolleyes:

they have an enclosed litter tray in their run already. They are going less in their house/box but it is still a bit much. They also go on the grass too. :rolleyes:

Is it possible to attach your hutch and run together? Buns do feel much more secure if they retain the same territory and it would save you the dilemma of whether to put them out or not because they will have their own choice. You could always shut them back into the hutch at night if it makes you feel they are safer - mine are attached so the buns have the ability to sit out in their runs all night if they want and often do, even in midwinter.

Last edited:
My hutch is on legs and I don't know how I would attach it. Here are some pictures of them:

Hutch(box is not usually underneath it):
tapqpu.jpg

Run:
2libx4i.jpg

I would take the legs off the hutch and place it on top of the solid section of the run with the doors facing the outside so it is still easy to access/clean.

Do they jump on top of the box when it's in the run? If they do I would place this under the hutch and let then use it as a step up to the hutch, otherwise a small ramp but don't expect them to get the hang of it immediately. You will need to put a trap door in the bottom of the hutch.

I would put a cover over the run at least partially to stop the wind as much as anything else. :D

Maria x

Pippa and MJ are out in their hutch over (covered) run 24/7 - the only thing I would say is don't leave them in their run on the grass, move it to the concrete. MJ can dig out of his run in less than half an hour on the grass, so their permanent run is on concrete and they have a pws run for the grass in summer. I give them readigrass in winter to eat :)

I don't want to have the hutch over the run and my vet said that they should be on grass 24/7 ideally, but they can't be on it at night for obvious reasons, so I will let them out for as long as is possible. I'll get a cover over the run and I'll let them out in their run rain or shine, unless there is a forecast of thunder & lightening or gales or very heavy rain or snow.

Back