• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infected tear duct?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Gussy has a weepy eye, took him to the vets and they say it a tear duct infection, the vet gave him a local anastetic and flushed it, he said there was a plug of puss, so now we have a cream to put in his eye twice a day (Aureomycin) we have to take him back in a week as the vet said they will probably need flushing again :(

Does this all sound ok? The vet said it could be a pasturella infection.

Gus is fine and eating ok, his eye does look poorly :(

As I am still working in Belfast my OH Dave will have to give him the cream until friday when I get back :-?

Molly had an eye infection and she had to have drops for 2 weeks in total and it cleared up fine. The first week there didnt seem to be much change so we had a second week of the eye drops and that worked better.
I have read about weepy eyes being due to problems with the teeth, but since yours is eating fine and sounds happy (?) then that shouldnt be the case.
The main thing is that your ball of fluff is eating and happy as normal.
Are you due to go back to the vets for a progress check? We had to with Molly just to check that the treatment was working fine.

Hope bunny gets better soon :D

Awwww poor Gus... hugs and nosey rubs.... I know of a bun who had this and the cream cleared it up after the flushing x

Thanks :) He has to go back Saturday for a check up, saw the head vet, hadn't met him before he was really nice. He said there was an outside possibility it was his teeth but unlikely as there was a plug of puss in the tear duct and his teeth looked healthly not discoloured at all. If it doesn't clear up he said he will take him in for Xrays.
Just wish I didn't have to be away this week :cry: Dave is great with the buns, but I'm worried he'll struggle to get the cream in properly!

Sounds like your vet is doing everything right.

Hope he is feeling better soon and the antibiotics do the trick X

Cheers, hopefully we will see improvement when he is back at the vets on Saturday. I have given Dave strict insturction to keep a close eye on him and make sure he's eating etc...I will be worrying the whole week :roll:

my rabbit about a year ago had an infected tear duct...most likely due to his teeth, i ended up having to get him put down cos he just went downhill and wouldn't eat/was very lethargic. make sure u keep a VERY close eye on his eating and behaviour. my rabbit was a bit of a worst case scenario, im sure urs will be fine with antibiotics...dont mean to worry you, just to say keep a close eye!

Follow has this problem, unfortunatly the place we got him from didn't act quickly enough and he now has permanent damage to his eye. We have been given a number of eye drops including the cream, which did help.

Hope your bunny gets better

my rabbit about a year ago had an infected tear duct...most likely due to his teeth, i ended up having to get him put down cos he just went downhill and wouldn't eat/was very lethargic. make sure u keep a VERY close eye on his eating and behaviour. my rabbit was a bit of a worst case scenario, im sure urs will be fine with antibiotics...dont mean to worry you, just to say keep a close eye!

:shock: :shock:

I am keeping a close eye on him, he doesn't seem affected by it at all, was there anything else wrong with you bun to cause him to go downhill so fast?

Our bun had this condition due to a bacterial infection, the vet checked him out and he has perfected teeth. The infection doesn't both him much, he eats fine etc., he just hates having the eye drops.

:shock: :shock:

I am keeping a close eye on him, he doesn't seem affected by it at all, was there anything else wrong with you bun to cause him to go downhill so fast?

I would imagine if he had tooth problems then he would not have been feeding prioperly for sometime prior to stasis and that on top of a possible eye infection would have nasty consequences.

Was it a tooth root problem?

Sending vibes for Gussy. Hopefully the cream will clear it up.

Frasier has deformed eyelids so I have to check and clean his eyes daily. The other month I got really worried as he was making snorty noises. The Vet checked him and said there was a little bit of snot in the nose but chest was clear and that a build up of gunk in the tear duct must have done it. Even tho I look after it daily some must have got thru. We used the cream twice a day and some baytril for two weeks and it all cleared up lovely. :D

Back