• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Helping bunns with a poorly Tum?

Hi as some of you might already know i lost my girl Gizmo recently.

How? i'm not exactly sure but having found that she went down hill so quickly i feel that there some things i need to know more about. Especially as i don't have much faith in my vet.

Whether it was something that could of been prevented i'll never know, but i do feel that i need to know more!

After reading a few items i've kind of got list of things that i think is useful, Well baseing it on the info i've read here.

Can you tell me what you think about it, please say if you think that something needs adding or changing. Plus if anyone can tell me the doses that would be great too!!

Infacol - for windy tummies :oops: :roll:
Probiotics
Calpol
Tummy rubs
And lots of love! :p

Any tips are gratefully appreciated!!

Gem

Last edited:
Hi there, really sorry for your loss, I read your sad story yest and i'd be devastated. I have had a few near misses with mine and its really scary.
I'm not too hot on the meds to use for upset tummies so I wont advise what to do but the best thing ive found from advice at my vets and info on the net (I was very lucky to find a local vets that are full of rabbit savvy vets, since I was totally i the dark when I first adopted Charlie! shameful!) is a diet high in hay, minimise stress where possible and know your bun inside out. They have moods just like people and sometimes its just a bad day like us or sometimes its cos they are feeling under the weather. Unlike us they cannot tolerate much discomfort and it has huge effects on them.
I'm sure you know all this but its all the help I feel I can offer from my short experience.
Your bun may need a bit more attention at the mo too, whilst grieving like you guys are.
I found a great website yest with some natural treats that can help with digestion and health problems but may also help perk your bun up a bit:

http://islandgems.net/herbalremedies.html

I really hope you guys feel better soon. Its devastating losing a pet - they are just like part of the family. I still miss all mine, and it makes my tummy jump thinking about it.

I hope some of this has helped.

:)

Sorry for your loss :(

I would add to get them moving and running around as much as you can when they start to appear bloated. I also do circular tummy rubs and infacol. I think there was a debate about whether or not to use calpol a little while back so not too sure about that one.

the tummy rubs, how do you do that with a bun like our Grumpy Giz who didnt like to be handled?

Is there an easy way to tell one way or the other if its a gassy tum or a blockage and she cant go. Gizmo didnt go at all (wee or poo) in the afternoon from 3 until midnight but we just didnt know what to do.

Please dont give your rabbit Calpol.

If you are worried about GI problems in future ask your vet to prescribe some Metacam (oral painkiller) and to instruct you on administation and doseage.

This way at the first sign of tummy pain you can act quickly to minimise discomfort and keep the rabbit concerned eating.

Also I would recommend keeping some science recovery feed for emergency syringing and some fiberplex (both these available online) as its easier to administer than water soluble probiotics and full of fiber too.

Hi Gem

I learnt a very painful lesson when I lost Harv. I syringe fed him for two days, and it went in, and I thought that was it - it was going in so it must be doing him good. Now I know differently and it still causes me great upset that I may have made things worse because I didn't know enough.

Like you, after I lost Harv, I needed to try and be prepared, though I hope I never have to go through that again. I now have things in - and have learnt other valuable information on here. One of the hardest things for me is that I consider myself to be a responsible owner who always puts my babies first, and yet it wasn't enough.

I wish I could help you feel better but I know only too well that you have to get through this horrible bit first. I can say though that just by joining here I learnt the tummy rub and making them run thing, which I've had to use with Tarquin. I only wish I'd known about it 5 months ago - who knows if it'd have made any difference but I'd have tried.

Stay strong and hugs to you and your family.

Rebec

Okay i won't do calpol. It's good to know whats good and bad.

Sometimes you want to keep something in the cupboard so that you know that you can help. My vet is only there on a tuesday and friday so god help me if my bunns get ill any other day. Just one of the reasons why i'm on the look out for another vet.

Doesn't seem to be much in pembrokshire other than lovely beaches and stuff. Don't want to have to travel too far cos that upsets the bunns too!

''I can say though that just by joining here I learnt the tummy rub and making them run thing''

so this really can help them. Why don't vets tell you this stuff. Blooming vets!!!!!!!!

''I can say though that just by joining here I learnt the tummy rub and making them run thing''

so this really can help them. Why don't vets tell you this stuff. Blooming vets!!!!!!!!

I don't think some of them are aware that this can actually help. A couple of years ago I had to take one of my buns to the vet with a gassy tummy, she was given the usual painkiller, gut stimulant & antibiotic. When I said that I would continue to syringe feed her and rub her tummy his comment was that he had not heard of tummy rubbing for a rabbit before! I wasn't charged anything as he said he had learnt more from me than I had from him, needless to say I have since changed vets.

AHHHHHHHH VETS!!!!

When I said that I would continue to syringe feed her and rub her tummy his comment was that he had not heard of tummy rubbing for a rabbit before!I wasn't charged anything as he said he had learnt more from me than I had from him, needless to say I have since changed vets.

Whats the point in them eh, They don't blooming help.

I'm going to have to change now!

Tell me about it. My vet told me to syringe feed - which I'd done before - but there was nothing said about the importance of it coming out the other end. Maybe I should have thought but when you're stressing and your babe is getting weaker you don't always think. You just trust what you're told.

One of the worst things for me was that I knew how important poops were - to the point of obsessively weighing Harvey's every night at one time - but I was so panicked and determined to get the stuff in him that I just couldn't think about anything else. A horrible way to be reminded the importance of poops.

I now get all panicky if Bella and Tarquin don't produce what I think is enough. Not quite at the stage of weighing them, but I don't think I'll ever lose that poop worry!

My vets are very forward thinking and have recommended tummy rubs, exercise and using pineapple juice too....all stuff I have heard about on here but without me prompting them at all.

My vets are very forward thinking and have recommended tummy rubs, exercise and using pineapple juice too....all stuff I have heard about on here but without me prompting them at all.

I wish my vets were. I think they're good vets with the treatment they give, but seem to be lacking in the stuff that would be helpful to us on a daily basis. I feel that since I've become more aware, if I ask them questions they give me useful information, but you shouldn't need to ask - it should be part of the overall treatment.

And talking of pineapple, I've started mine on a bit tonight as they've both started moulting - again learnt on here.

Back