• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood all over the sofa

racheld69

Mama Doe
Got home from work tonight to find blood all over the sofa and the keyboard. Smeared everywhere. Have looked at Barney and he has 2 grazes/cuts on his hocks. I think he jumped on the sofa and stood on the keyboard and then fell down the side of the sofa and struggled to get back up while messing up his hocks on the keyboard which fell down with him.

Looking at the amount of blood his hocks don't look as bad as you would expect and he is running around like normal etc but poor thing! Thing is the carpet I have is quite a hard carpet and has been wearing his fur away a bit anyway - so is not exactly condusive to healing the grazes. Also what do I put on them - is there anything I have at home like sudocream you can put on bunnies? Can he wear booties or something while they heal?

Help please!:(

again i would recomend dermagel for this as one of mine just started to lose fur and i used this with great result the hair grew back!!!!!!:D i couldnt believe it

I would bathe his hocks with a very dilute saline solution, dry them carefully and apply a bit of sudocrem
As the skin is obviously broken I would get him to a Vet in the morning as he may need abx. If infection gets into the hocks it can be very nasty
I would keep him off the carpet, at least until the skin has healed

Janex

:wave: Where do you get that from - is it a human or pet product? Does it make hair grow back or is it like an antiseptic?

Is he free range while you are out? It might be an idea to confine him where he can't get up to mischief and hurt himself again. If he doesn't need antibiotics, sudo cream can help soothe that area, though flammazine is even better. Some carpets are very absrasive to bunny hocks. I know Floss's problem hocks flared up after a month on the carpet.

Is he free range while you are out? It might be an idea to confine him where he can't get up to mischief and hurt himself again. If he doesn't need antibiotics, sudo cream can help soothe that area, though flammazine is even better. Some carpets are very absrasive to bunny hocks. I know Floss's problem hocks flared up after a month on the carpet.

Yes, he is free range - I have bathed his hocks in saline solution and put sudocrem on (which he is trying to lick off!). Where can I get flammazine from?

Your vet will prescribe it. It's actually a cream which is used for burns patients, so it may may available from a chemist...not sure though, but it's worth asking.

YES DERMAGEL make the hair grow back and the same colour it was originally the only place i have managed to find it was ebay:D hope it helps

:wave: Thank you for your messages. He is looking fine and oblivious to what is going on and is carrying on charging about and banging his feet etc! Hocks haven't bled again and seem to be healing. Been bathing them and applying sudocrem which he loves and immediately jumps up and runs around squishing sudocrem blobs all over the floor!:D

Poor old Barney... sending lots of get better kisses for his little tootsies... How is Nettle?

Thanks. :rabbit2: Nettle is now 3 times his/her body weight since i found him on Sept 20th! Eats A LOT and charges round the place binkying and playing with the cats. He does lots of binky binky bunnyflop binky binky run routines etc. If it sit on the floor he comes and climbs on my knee now and Barney and Nettle do lots of lying down with their heads next to each other with eyes closing and licking each other which I guess must be love! :love:

Thanks. :rabbit2: Nettle is now 3 times his/her body weight since i found him on Sept 20th! Eats A LOT and charges round the place binkying and playing with the cats. He does lots of binky binky bunnyflop binky binky run routines etc. If it sit on the floor he comes and climbs on my knee now and Barney and Nettle do lots of lying down with their heads next to each other with eyes closing and licking each other which I guess must be love! :love:

OMG soooo cute.... can I request some Barney and Nettle pics? :love:

Ahhh - how cute. There's nothing like watching bunnies binkying.

In fact there's nothing like bunnies full stop. They're ace.

Glad Barney is ok.

Rebec

Last edited:
That must've been a horrible shock for you, seeing all that blood.Hugo stubbed his sore nose the other night & it bled everywhere so i can't imagine what it was like to have had bleeding hocks all over the place! The only advice i was going to give has already been posted, so i'll just send some get well soon vibes for your poor bun :D

Back