• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have my buns got enough room?

leeanderin

Mama Doe
We recentley adopted Dilbert from happy hoppers rescure to keep our female Rubens company.
They both live outside in a home made hutch which is on two levels, each floor is 4ft wide, 2ft deep and 2ft high (it's higher on the top floor due to the peaked roof, they have a run which is 4ft square attached onto it and get out in it every evening and all day at weekends. We don't put them out during the day as a couple of stray cats have taken a keen interest in them and i like to make sure they don't get too close, also our yard backs onto an alleyway and i'm wary that someone could get in and take them if we weren't around.
My other half seems to think they have sufficent room but i'm not so sure, what do you all think?
Piccies of the buns are in my signature which might give you an idea of their size. We're going to be extending the run so that it's 8ftx4ft in the near future.

Hi!

Do you have any pics of your buns in their houses? It's hard to tell how big they are in the photos.
Sarah xxx

I don't at the moment but could get some when i get home, rubens is a medium sized lop and dilbert is a small rabbit, although he's only a baby so probably has a bit of growing to do

Hey, Most places will state your rabbit should be able to do 3/4 hops along their hutch, and be about 5ft in length (the hutch not the rabbit!) Not sure what is said as you have a two story hutch thou.

I have a 5ft double hutch with a run they can go in between 8am-6pm! Then I shut them up for the night and get evil looks......so I bride them with veg!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, Most places will state your rabbit should be able to do 3/4 hops along their hutch, and be about 5ft in length (the hutch not the rabbit!) Not sure what is said as you have a two story hutch thou.

I have a 5ft double hutch with a run they can go in between 8am-6pm! Then I shut them up for the night and get evil looks......so I bride them with veg!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm wary about leaving my two out when we're at work all day with the local cats and an exposed back yard, when we're out at the weekend we're never away for more than 2-3 hours and i don't mind leaving them for that short period of time but wouldn't like to leave them any longer.

I guess a two storey four ft wide hutch is the same as one 8ft long one? Plus they have the ramp which they belt up and down most of the day!

No photo's yet to show you the size, i can't believe how early it's getting dark now!

Apparently a double 4ft isn't the same as a 8ft one, as the ramp takes up space but I think they'd be ok as long as they get play time when you're home.

No photo's yet to show you the size, i can't believe how early it's getting dark now!

And the clocks go back Sunday so it'll be darker still! :?

Not quite an 8ft long one because you need to account for space used for the ramp etc.

Its perfectly adequate for a pair of rabbits getting exercise everyday so dont panic :D

Not quite an 8ft long one because you need to account for space used for the ramp etc.

Its perfectly adequate for a pair of rabbits getting exercise everyday so dont panic :D

Thanks Sooz, we're extending the run soon anyway so they'll have 8ftx4ft worth of outdoor space to binky to their hearts content!

Back