• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anti-biotics - how long is safe??

hornetcarp

Warren Scout
is it safe to keep bunnies on anti-biotics long term?

what would be the maximum time you would be happy for your bunny to be on AB's for?

is it essential to give a bunny on AB's a pro-biotic to keep their gut healthy?

I currently have a Bun on a 6 week course of abx (Baytril) for a severe case of 'Snuffles'

I do know of cases where abx have been given for months at a time, particularly when treating abscesses related to Dental Disease

Baytril (Enrofloxacin) appears to be the abx most often used for treatment that needs to go on for months. I have never personally had a Bun with any adverse reaction to the longterm use of Baytril to keep a chronic disease under control. Abx resistance can eventually occur, but this is more likely to happen if a Bun is given numerous short courses as opposed to one long course.

I would have concerns with any of my Buns being prescribed more heavy duty abx on a longterm basis. But if my Vet, whom I trust 100%, said it was necessary I would take her advice

I would use probiotics for anyBun on longterm abx.

Janex

I agree with Jane.

I've only ever had bunnies on a week's course but I would be happy for it to be longer if it was chronic and the vet knew what they were doing.

I always use a probiotic, either Avipro-Plus, which my lot have anyway or one from the vet.

I have a rat who will now be on Baytril for the rest of her life, this is not uncommon in rats where the respiratory illness has sunk deep into the chest.

Think it depends on whats actually wrong with the bunster. I've had buns on antibiotics for months at a time, but only when they've been seriously poorly (as in, unlikely they will get better). Jens recently been on antibiotics for several different ailments but I've now completely stopped as they werent doing much and I considered the long term affects as more serious than the things wrong with her tbh. Hope that makes sense :oops: X

I always use probiotics no matter how long or short the abx period, even after a single shot.

I use it for the duration of the treatment and 7 days following.

Back