• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 bald patches and a couple of small scabs

Neil-and-Maria

Warren Veteran
2 bald patches and a couple of small scabs keep appearing on Dylan's back, well scruff of the neck really.

We took him to the vet the first time it happened, it coincided with his myxi and VHD jabs and we assumed a bad reaction to the injections. Vet suggested keeping an eye on it and returning in a week if it wasnt healing. Gave a baytril injection.

One week later and all was healing so we didnt go back to the vet.

Later in year the same thing happened again - two bald patches appear and get bigger and in the middle of each is a small scab which just gets bigger. Back to the vet and another injection and we put a collar on him (not impressed) and separated from Rita just in case she was overgrooming the sore spot making it bigger. She was paying it a lot of attention. Again he healed.

This week we have noticed the bald patches have reappeared and have made another appointment to see the vet.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be happening? It is always in exactly the same spots. Always on the scruff of his neck, one to the right and one to the left. No puss, just a small scab in each bald patch.

He isn't constantly scratching or anything, eats well and poos normally etc.

I wonder if it is where Rita is frisky and possibly biting him during the process? They are both a similar size and she does all the humping. Or could there be another cause? I really don't want to split them up as Rita has been a difficult bunny to get bonded. We think she may be blind in one eye.

Open to all suggestions but would like to see the vet with a more informed reason this time.

Thanks

Maria x

Can't really help that much, but not long ago a member on here had a bun with a scab and fur loss I think, it coincided with the VHD and I think was because the vaccine may have dripped out onto the buns fur or something like that.

I think localised reactions are more common if the vet uses the same needle to draw up and give the vaccine.

Nicola

We put it down to a bad reaction to injections the first time as it happened just after he was given them and right on the site of the injections. He was vaccinated in March. We cant explain the 2 further incidents though, and he hasnt reacted badly to the baytril injections.

We are a bit stumped. :?

Maria x

Sorry, no advice but hope it stops happening. Especially if its rough humping like Elve suggested :oops:

Teddy had the same and it was Jemima holding on whilst humping, that's what it sounds like to me if you can't find any other cause :)

We are due at the vets on Thursday, same day as Stanley's check over. I was almost hoping for an actual disease problem I think, as now I'm unsure whether it's fair to leave Rita and Dylan together if she's causing the injuries.

I guess at the end of the day it is natural behaviour. :roll:

Maria x

Back