• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding?

Michelle82

Young Bun
I have just got Bobby a Netherland Dwarf Male who is approx 10 weeks he is on his own and since looking on here I feel bad about that and was wondering is there a good age to get a friend for him. I wont do it yet as he has mites and a runny nose courtsey of P@H! Should I wait until he is older and I assume he needs a lady so would they both need to get neutered or just one?

Wait until hes a) back to full health and b) neutered at 6months. Then get an already spayed female (maybe from a rescue?) ... If you have only one done its really not fair as the neutered animal gets sexually harassed 24/7 and the unneutered animal ends up fustrated!

Deffo will get one from a rescue no more pet shop purchases for me. Are most rabbits happy to be bonded? or will I end up with 2 rabbits that dont want to live together and end up with 2 hutches etc?

I would like to have him indoors when we are home and out at night this is what I did with my last one, so never got him neutered or a friend, but we have 2 cats and not sure either party would appreciate the other one if you see what I mean.

Be careful bringing him in for the day and then putting him outside at night. Its really cold and to go from a warm, toasty house to then a freezing night is more harmful then if he was outside all the time. ;)

I believe most rescues will let you take your neutered bun along to choose his girlfriend, lots will also do the bonding for you for a donation. This would cut a lot of the stress for you (believe me!). This would be better than just picking a random rescue bun and hoping that they get on :D

I would like to have him indoors when we are home and out at night this is what I did with my last one, so never got him neutered or a friend, but we have 2 cats and not sure either party would appreciate the other one if you see what I mean.

A bunnies body temperature changes very quickly, not really a good idea to bring them indoors so they body temperature gets used to indoor temps then put them back outside in the cold.

you can usually get male bunnies neautered from 4-5 months old.

I get what your saying and like I said this time we just cant do it the cats would be forever after him! So think it may be an idea to get him a lady in a few months. It never seemed a problem with the last one him coming in and out he died at 2 though from gut problems he got over it once but went downhill in hours the second time it broke my heart my parents dog was his best friend or rather his follower the bun def ruled the roost!

Back