• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit keeping Urban Myths.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
What information did you used to believe about keeping rabbits that turned out to be total bull?

I used to believe that tomatoes were poisonous to rabbits :oops:

Your turn :D ....

i used to believe all agoutis where hald wild rabbits when i was a kid.

we had one who was so vicious i thought ti was bcus he was half wild, then i thought every bunny tht looked lykh im was half wild!!

now i look back and i realise if hed been neutured (not th anybody did that 15 years ago really) and had a bigger hutch and run and we spent time with him, it would have been a different story.

i thought rabbits were happy living in little hutches and ate carrots all day long.... boy how wrong can ya be!!!
my mom still sees them as outside pets and is amazed by the stories i tell her about my demanding high maintenance black ninja...

Well i always really wanted a bunny as a child but wasnt allowed:cry: but i didnt know they ate hay and pellet food, thought they just ate lettuce and carrots all day and thats all!!!! i was naive but then i had never owned a rabbit until i got my first 2 years ago:D ................he was an easter present from my hubby:D :D and a i adore him and all of my 6 buns now:love:

I used to believe that rabbits were all pretty much docile and cuddly animals (I know most are) but I didnt know they could have such different personalities or could be so opinionated. I had a rabbit when I was about 13 and he was of a very gentle and laid back temperement, even though he wasnt neutered. Now I have two boys buns, one is also very gentle and affectionate, the other is completely different, tempermental and grumpy and you never know whether he's going to be in a good or bad mood from one day to the other. I also didnt realise how intelligent rabbits are!

i used to believe rabbits and Guinea Pigs could be kept together, also that 2 un-neutered males could live together. i also had that 'aww they'll be fine' attitude :roll:

oh yeah i also used to think hey was just something they lay on :oops: sadly thats why Crystal isnt a very good hay eater as she lived the first 6 months with me without much hay (im really ashamed to admit that)

rabbits eat lettuce and carrots all day long.

Rabbit food was probably less expensive than dogs/cat food.

I used to think that rabbits were viscious and horrible :shock: Thankfully that turned out to be a myth with my beautiful, gentle, collection of bunnies :D

I didnt realise they ate hay. Luckily I did find out when we got Buu as the vet told me the next day so she was never not fed it :D

I also had no idea that they should have rabbit friends ;) And I didnt realise they cost so much just in food and toys :shock: :lol:

And I didnt even know you could get 6ft hutches until I joined here, I thought you could just get the sizes they have in petshops :shock: :roll: I actually feel terrible about the hutch I brought Buu when we got her, although she was never shut in because she was a housebun until I got her a bigger one :D It was just like her toilet in the corner of the room :lol:

That REW's were blind

Me too :D Thats actually the first question I asked the vet when I got Scarlett, she can see just fine though :lol:

I didn't know that they needed so much space so thought the pet shop style hutches were fine. I also didn't know they could be so affectionate, feel so sorry for our first bun who was misunderstood by everyone, no wonder she was aggressive :( xxx

I didnt realise they would be fine in the house and wouldnt necessarily jump everywhere and chew everything.

However we have had a stretched out rabbit snoozing on the sofa a couple of times this week looking up and slightly annoyed if the sound on the TV changed or anyone sat down etc:thumb:

Back