• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit v dogs

ailz

Alpha Buck
I've heard recently of a couple of free ads where people have advertised rabbits as 'not bothered if you want them for the pot' either stated or intimated. Could you imagine if someone put on a nice fluffy puppy and put 'not bothered if you want to turn them into fur coats'.

There would be an outcry - yet it's just the same.

yeah i totally agree. i think rabbits are so underestimated for example when people hunt them. there is a ban now on fox hunting but why is is still ok for people to go and shoot rabbits. there still living creatures aswell.
animal treatment in this country is terrible in my opnion and more needs to be done to stop it

Plenty of people eat rabbits. That's why they were originally breed as well.
Rabbits breed almost constantly so there won't be much problem for the population if you shoot a few of them. I don't know how it is for foxes but in Norway they can only be hunted certain times of the year. Rabbits don't exist in the wild here, unless they're runaways, and those I feel is sometimes better of being shot, than starve to death in the winter. (Better yet if they are captured of course, and most of the time, if a rabbit is spotted on the loose, people are most likely to try to capture it, but there is an island outside Oslo where there's so many "wild" rabbits, that the government are trying to put them all to sleep, as they are not doing well out there:cry: )

I can see why people wouldn't want their pet rabbits eaten of course, but in general I see nothing wrong in eating a rabbit that's lived a good life being well-looked after, its not much difference from eating a cow, pig or a chicken is there?

I would probably react if someone turned a puppy into a fur coat but that's because I am against the use of fur. You can get perfectly good clothes without using fur, but meat is a part of a human's natural diet.

As I see something wrong with eating any animal.. It certainly think it is wrong to eat rabbits, even more so if they have been a pet. :evil:

Some countries eat dog, and there are regularly petitions in newspapers to save them and how horrendous it is. I don't have problems with animals being bred for food, I just don't see the difference in cute little ba lambs, chickens, puppies etc., If it's not right to advertise one as throw away then it isn't right for any.

Mind you I do wonder how many people could rear any animal, see it killed and then eat it. I've done it with chickens, but I'm not sure I could do it with lamb, pig etc.,

Mind you I do wonder how many people could rear any animal, see it killed and then eat it. I've done it with chickens, but I'm not sure I could do it with lamb, pig etc.,

I couldn't do that. Wouldn't you get attached? I think I'd feel physically sick knowing that I was eating something I'd seen grow up.

I don't eat meat, and I know I never will again but I hate it when people say they won't eat one animal such as a duck because it's 'cute' but then have no problem whatsoever with eating beef or pork. They're all animals that have to be slaughtered just so you can eat it, so isn't it the same?

That's why I'm forever trying to give up meat. The problem is that neither I nor my hubby eat much in the way of vegetables. He was a veggie for about 7 years but we went to Paris this year and it's almost impossible to eat veggie there (all the restaurants, cafes and so on had 'raw vegetables' as the only veggie option) and since we came home he's been eating meat as he had so much more energy when we were away.

We only buy meat which has been traditionally reared - not in cages.

We were buying organic but a farmer friend told us how some animals were denied antibiotics when ill to keep their organic status and that it can be cruel. She isn't organic as she wants her animals to have a decent life - and death (she won't sell for Halal or Jewish) or to any but a local abbatoir.

im one of them peeps who eat meat but hate animal suffering..... which is why i try really hard not to get upset when i hear about rabbits getting eaten (its only recently in our history that they have become pets rather than food)...... one day i would like to keep a chicken, which would then cause me to stop eating chicken but just because i then wont eat that particular animal id never jugde people who do.... id love to give up meat but i really cant bacon would undo me everytime, plus its unfair to impose my eating habbits on my o/h, i do sneak in more veggie meals than hed like tho... i just pretend to myself it wasnt once a living happy creature.. ignorance is bliss for me :oops: :oops:

I am totally against eating rabbits... but id be hypocritical to state thats its cus of the moral... i eat chickens and fish and to me that is the same, but rabbits r cute and i could never harm one let alone eat one.
x

I would probably react if someone turned a puppy into a fur coat but that's because I am against the use of fur. You can get perfectly good clothes without using fur, but meat is a part of a human's natural diet.

but then is that not the same as wearing leather shoes... this arguement could go round and round. x

Humans, like dogs can live without meat. Cats can't. My problem is with animal cruelty.

As I put in my original statement, it's not that I'm against anyone eating rabbits, it's the double standards. If I advertised nice fluffy puppies for food or fur, there would be an outcry. Same as if I advertised newborn kittens, puppies etc. as snake food, yet not rabbits. That's my beef in all this.

Oh and if a vegetable dies it goes slimy and rotton - therefore vegetables have to be eaten while still technically 'alive'. At least meat eaters wait until their food is dead!!:p

Humans, like dogs can live without meat. Cats can't. My problem is with animal cruelty.

As I put in my original statement, it's not that I'm against anyone eating rabbits, it's the double standards. If I advertised nice fluffy puppies for food or fur, there would be an outcry. Same as if I advertised newborn kittens, puppies etc. as snake food, yet not rabbits. That's my beef in all this.

Oh and if a vegetable dies it goes slimy and rotton - therefore vegetables have to be eaten while still technically 'alive'. At least meat eaters wait until their food is dead!!:p

i think it takes a long time for peoples attitudes to change.... with so many wonderful people promoting rabbits for the amazing intelligent animals that they are.... one day they will be respected the same as cats and dogs....
ohhh noooo i love veggies too :( i cant eat em knowing they are still alive :cry: :cry: *imagines the screams as i tuck into raw cabbage*

I think that's taking it a bit far :roll:

Meat rots too you know:p Maybe not as fast...but still.
How long does it really take for a vegetable to die after its been picked out of the ground that provides it with its necessary nutrients?

The dead v alive thing is what my brother taught his children when they were young:roll: .

He also told them that things wwnt green when they went off so they shouldn't eat green things.

Oh yes and when in Norway just before Xmas when the children were tiny he had reindeer steak and told them he'd eaten Rudolph.

He also serves Bambi and Thumper stew too!!

He' s a total :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: always has been and always will be

oh thats awful.... a bloke at work met someone on hols who told his kids that the music on icecream vans means theyve ran out..... awwwwww

Yeah, I'm surprised Keith never tried that one. From a very early age his children just gave him a look (especially his daughter) and carried on.

He also told them that on their 18th birthday they had to move out but at 22 and 21 they're both still at home.:lol:

i dont feel i have the right to comment, as up until the last three months i ate meat, they were all fluffy pretty creatures at one time,and i still cook meat for my family,

Back